Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology6 days ago

1MDB financier Jho Low seeks pardon from Donald Trump

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

1MDB financier Jho Low seeks pardon from Donald Trump

Fugitive faces charges including corruption and money laundering in US and Malaysia for role he allegedly played in scandalThe fugitive Malaysian financier Jho Low, a central figure in the multibillion-dollar scandal at the state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), is reportedly seeking a pardon from the US president, Donald Trump.Low faces multiple charges including corruption and money laundering in the US and Malaysia for the important role he allegedly played in the mi

Jho Low has consistently denied wrongdoing.

Photograph: Stuart Ramson/AP View image in fullscreen Jho Low has consistently denied wrongdoing.

Photograph: Stuart Ramson/AP 1MDB financier Jho Low seeks pardon from Donald Trump Fugitive faces charges including corruption and money laundering in US and Malaysia for role he allegedly played in scandal The fugitive Malaysian financier Jho Low, a central figure in the multibillion-dollar scandal at the state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), is reportedly seeking a pardon from the US president, Donald Trump .

Low faces multiple charges including corruption and money laundering in the US and Malaysia for the important role he allegedly played in the misappropriation of at least $4.5bn (£3.3bn) from 1MDB.

The scandal was one of the world’s biggest financial frauds , with billions plundered from the now defunct sovereign wealth fund in a scandal that began to unfold in 2015.

Low has consistently denied wrongdoing and his whereabouts is unknown.

Low recently filed a request for a pardon that, if granted, would remove US criminal charges against him, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday, citing people familiar with the matter.

A White House official said Low’s request was not on its radar, the report said.

The US Justice Department website lists a pending request for a “pardon after completion of sentence” under Taek Jho Low that was filed this year.

Johari Abdul Ghani, the chair of a Malaysian taskforce seeking to recover funds and assets linked to 1MDB worldwide, said Low’s request should be denied and the US should instead assist Malaysia in locating him for further investigations.

“As far as I’m concerned, I’m against the pardon,” said Johari, who is also the trade minister.

Johari said he was unaware of any talks between Low and Malaysia to return assets.

The WSJ reported that Malaysia had temporarily lifted an Interpol red notice against Low that would make him subject to arrest almost anywhere in the world to facilitate the return of significant assets to the country.

In 2019, the US struck a deal to recoup about $1bn from Low, with the fugitive agreeing to give up a private jet and high-end real estate in Beverly Hills, New York and London among other assets.

The Malaysian prime minister, Anwar Ibrahim, said in 2023 that the government was negotiating with other countries to speed up Low’s return, although he declined to name the nations involved.

Authorities have previously said Low was believed to be in China, although Beijing has denied it.

Explore more on these topics 1MDB Malaysia Donald Trump Asia Pacific Trump administration US politics news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

BBC staff strike as new director general warns of ‘tough choices’ on his first day
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 19 hours ago1 min read

BBC staff strike as new director general warns of ‘tough choices’ on his first day

Matt Brittin begins task of finding budget cuts as World Service and Radio 4 journalists protest against plan to increase workloadsMatt Brittin, the BBC’s new director general, has warned staff that “tough choices are unavoidable” under his tenure, as his first day coincided with a strike by a group of the corporation’s journalists.Brittin, formerly Google’s

Trump cuts to weather data could make forecasts less reliable, warn experts
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 19 hours ago1 min read

Trump cuts to weather data could make forecasts less reliable, warn experts

Use of AI is a valuable tool for weather prediction but only when it’s trained with ample data, experts sayAs the US prepares for hurricane season and a summer of record-breaking heat, experts fear the Trump administration’s cuts to climate and weather data programming could make the federal government’s weather forecasts less reliable when they are needed most.The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa)

Celebrities call for permanent end to gnome ban at Chelsea flower show
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 19 hours ago1 min read

Celebrities call for permanent end to gnome ban at Chelsea flower show

Bill Bailey and Alan Titchmarsh paint gnomes for king’s garden at event in one-off to raise funds for RHS campaignGarden gnomes should make a permanent return to the Chelsea flower show, celebrities who have painted the mythical creatures for the king’s garden at this year’s event, have said.At the high-end event, which kicks off on Tuesday in the grounds of the Royal Hospital Chelsea, south-west London, the “tacky” statutes been frowned upon since 1927. Speaking at the show’s p