Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 3 hours ago

At least 87 Gaza aid flotilla activists abducted by Israel on hunger strike

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera

Verified Publisher

At least 87 Gaza aid flotilla activists abducted by Israel on hunger strike

The protest comes after Israeli forces intercepted the last remaining vessel sailing towards the besieged Gaza Strip.

Save Share facebook x whatsapp-stroke copylink Palestinian children look at a mural depicting Israel's interception of ships participating in the Global Sumud Flotilla, a civilian-led humanitarian aid mission to Gaza by sea, in Nuseirat in the central Gaza Strip on May 19, 2026 [AFP] By Al Jazeera Staff and AFP Published On 20 May 2026 20 May 2026 At least 87 people abducted by Israeli forces from an aid flotilla bound for Gaza have begun a hunger strike, organisers say, after Israeli forces intercepted the last remaining vessel in international waters.

The group is striking “in protest of their illegal abduction and in solidarity with the over 9,500 Palestinian hostages held in Israeli dungeons”, the Global Sumud Flotilla wrote on X on Wednesday.

Recommended Stories list of 4 items list 1 of 4 Israeli forces fire ‘rubber bullets’ at activists on Gaza aid flotilla list 2 of 4 US imposes sanctions on Gaza flotilla organisers amid Israeli crackdown list 3 of 4 Gaza aid flotilla organisers say all boats intercepted by Israel list 4 of 4 Protest in Greece after Israeli forces storm Gaza aid flotilla end of list Late on Tuesday evening, Israeli forces “kidnapped” six people on board the Lina al-Nabulsi boat, organisers said.

The boat was the last in a group of more than 50 vessels that left Turkiye’s port city of Marmaris last week to sail towards Gaza, with the goal of breaking Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip.

Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed late on Tuesday that its forces were taking hundreds of flotilla participants to Israel.

“Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives,” a ministry spokesman said, calling the effort “nothing more than a PR stunt.” Israeli forces began overtaking the vessels in international waters off the coast of Cyprus on Monday, organisers said, where they raided boats, allegedly fired rubber bullets and abducted participants.

The detainees included nine Indonesian citizens, a spokesperson for Indonesia’s foreign ministry said Wednesday. Indonesia called for the immediate release of all vessels and said that “every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilised”.

Some 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, a doctor and the sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly, were among those being held.

Countries including Turkiye, Spain, Jordan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Indonesia, Colombia, Libya, and the Maldives denounced the Israeli interceptions as “blatant violations of international law and international humanitarian law”.

The United States, however, imposed sanctions on four activists for their involvement in flotillas that have tried to reach Gaza, claiming without evidence that the organisers were acting “in support of Hamas”.

Some previous flotilla participants have refused food upon being detained by Israel. Pro-Palestine activists jailed in the UK also participated in a high-profile, months-long hunger strike that began last year and led to severe health effects.

Read original story at Al Jazeera

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from Al Jazeera