Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 2 hours ago

Call for food price caps ‘completely preposterous’, says M&S boss

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Call for food price caps ‘completely preposterous’, says M&S boss

Stuart Machin argues government should reduce tax and regulatory burden on supermarkets insteadThe boss of Marks & Spencer has called a government proposal for voluntary price caps on essential food items “completely preposterous”, saying it should reduce tax and regulatory burdens instead.Stuart Machin, the chief executive of the clothing,

M&S says it has already lost money on some basic items such as milk, bread and baked beans and made very slim profits on products such as eggs and sugar.

Photograph: David Willis/Alamy M&S says it has already lost money on some basic items such as milk, bread and baked beans and made very slim profits on products such as eggs and sugar.

Photograph: David Willis/Alamy Call for food price caps ‘completely preposterous’, says M&S boss Stuart Machin argues government should reduce tax and regulatory burden on supermarkets instead The boss of Marks & Spencer has called a government proposal for voluntary price caps on essential food items “completely preposterous”, saying it should reduce tax and regulatory burdens instead.

Stuart Machin, the chief executive of the clothing, homewares, food and beauty retailer, said M&S already lost money on some basic items such as milk, bread and baked beans and made very slim profits on other products such as eggs and sugar.

“I don’t think government should be trying to run business,” he said. “They should try to understand business better. There is so much in the government’s control. My advice is to try to reduce tax and regulatory burden and free us up in a very competitive market.” It emerged on Tuesday that government officials had raised the idea with supermarkets that they should stock at least one version of basic items such as bread, milk and butter at a set low price in exchange for an easing of some regulations on issues such as packaging and healthy food.

Machin said retailers were facing “a triple whammy of headwinds with increased taxation, a greater regulatory burden and ongoing global conflict” and ministers “can do things to relieve some pressure and help retailers grow and invest”.

He said a “big headwind” was higher taxes, with £40m in additional costs from April’s new packaging levy and potentially a further £10m this year as well as £50m higher costs from national insurance changes or up to £100m if the higher costs from suppliers’ need to pay extra national insurance were included.

Machin said the additional cost from new regulations and additional taxes “does all link to employment”, putting a dampener on businesses’ ability to take on more people. He said most of the taxes had been known about, and so M&S had planned in ways to cut costs and offset the impact.

However, he said the unexpected Middle East conflict had already prompted some suppliers to ask for higher prices, adding “a few million” pounds to M&S costs. Machin said M&S was able to absorb or offset most of this.

The chief executive was speaking as M&S pledged to invest in technology and 18 new food stores after annual results revealed last year’s paralysing cyber-attack had knocked almost a quarter off its profits.

Machin said the year ahead would be “one of the most important … in our history” as it added automated distribution centres, refurbished clothing departments and used AI to sharpen marketing and product sourcing.

“The next three years are critical for M&S as we invest for growth,” he said.

Archie Norman, the retailer’s chair, said now was the time to “shake the dust off our heels” as the effect on the availability of products after the cyber incident that began last Easter was “now tapering” and new ranges were “resonating well with customers”.

The pledge came as M&S revealed underlying profits slumped by 23.8% to £671m in the year to 28 March as sales rose only 1.9% to £14.2bn despite widespread inflation of more than 3%. Profits were hit by £131.3m of costs related to the cyber incident.

Food sales rose 7% but fashion, homewares and beauty sales were down by 7.7% and international sales were down 7.2% as the fallout from the cyber-attack rolled on through the year.

However, analysts said the outlook on profits was worse than expected as M&S said the year ahead would be affected by “higher fuel, freight and input costs and continued government tax levies and regulatory headwinds”.

Analysts at Jefferies said M&S was only guiding to an expected annual profit of more than £876m in the year ahead against expectations of £964m.

Alison Dolan, the chief financial officer at M&S, said the flow of stock had been “materially disrupted” by the incident, putting pressure on the supply chain and hitting availability throughout the year, so the retailer was left with excess stock that it was forced to discount more than planned in the second half.

Machin said food sales had grown strongly, helping M&S reach 4.1% market share – its highest level ever – and it would be 4.6% if M&S’s sales via its Ocado online grocery joint venture were included.

M&S sold £1bn of goods via the online grocer for the first time this year, helping Ocado reach an operating profit of £15.2m – a return to the black after several years of losses.

Machin said Ocado had improved efficiency but there was “much more to do before we commit to future growth investment”.

Explore more on these topics Marks & Spencer Retail industry Food & drink industry Supermarkets UK cost of living crisis Ocado news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

There could be 1,000 or more victims of black-cab rapist John Worboys, says Carrie Johnson
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

There could be 1,000 or more victims of black-cab rapist John Worboys, says Carrie Johnson

Wife of former PM, who encountered Worboys in 2007, says parole refusal last week was ‘huge relief’Carrie Johnson, the wife of the former prime minister Boris Johnson, has said there could be “up to 1,000, if not more,” victims of the black-cab rapist, John Worboys.Johnson, who helped bring the serial sex attacker to justice, said she had been contacted by more women who believed they had been assaulted by him.

Germany urged to stop admiring Beijing and wake up to ‘China Shock 2.0’
Sports
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Germany urged to stop admiring Beijing and wake up to ‘China Shock 2.0’

‘China has already eaten much of German industry’s lunch and is preparing to start on dinner,’ thinktank saysBusiness live – latest updatesGermany must stop admiring China’s success in the EU or it will sleepwalk into the kind of deindustrialisation the US experienced 25 years ago, a leading Brussels thinktank

Georgia mayor who fired town’s entire police force resigns, citing family ‘health concerns’
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 3 hours ago1 min read

Georgia mayor who fired town’s entire police force resigns, citing family ‘health concerns’

Ron Shinnick did not mention the firing of the Cohutta police force, which was later rehired, in resignation letterThe mayor of a small town in the US state of Georgia has resigned shortly after firing his community’s entire police department, a step that the local governing council ultimately reversed – but that he nonetheless took amid a political spat pitting him and his wife