Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 1 hour ago

Designs for 250-ft arch in Washington approved by panel of Trump appointees

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Designs for 250-ft arch in Washington approved by panel of Trump appointees

Approval marks key step forward for project dubbed ‘Arc de Trump’, which will be near Arlington National CemeteryThe Commission of Fine Arts on Thursday approved designs for Donald Trump’s proposed 250-ft triumphal arch in Washington DC.The vote on Thursday by the panel, which is made up of Trump appointees, marks a key step forward for the project. Next month, the <a hre

Trump holds models for the proposed arch during a dinner with ballroom donors in the White House in 2025.

Photograph: Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images Trump holds models for the proposed arch during a dinner with ballroom donors in the White House in 2025.

Photograph: Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images Designs for 250-ft arch in Washington approved by panel of Trump appointees Approval marks key step forward for project dubbed ‘Arc de Trump’, which will be near Arlington National Cemetery The Commission of Fine Arts on Thursday approved designs for Donald Trump’s proposed 250-ft triumphal arch in Washington DC.

The vote on Thursday by the panel, which is made up of Trump appointees, marks a key step forward for the project. Next month, the proposed design is set to be reviewed by the National Capital Planning Commission, another federal panel that oversees planning for federal buildings and land.

“Washington is not a static city,” the panel’s chairman, Rodney Mims Cook Jr, said on Thursday, according to the New York Times . “It must grow to allow the next 250 years of Americans to celebrate their accomplishments.” He also described the building as “beautiful” according to reports.

US Senate refuses to push through ICE funding amid row over Trump’s ballroom Read more The arch, dubbed the “ Arc de Trump ”, is designed to stand 250ft tall, and includes a public viewing deck.

The administration has said it believes the monument will be “one of the most iconic landmarks not only in Washington DC, but throughout the world”. They have also said that positioning of the arch near Arlington National Cemetery would serve as “a visual reminder of the noble sacrifices borne by so many American heroes throughout our 250-year history so we can enjoy our freedoms today”.

But, earlier this year, a group of military veterans and a historic preservationists sued to stop construction of the arch, arguing that the structure had not recieved congressional approval and would disrupt the experience of visiting Arlington National Cemetery and obstruct “the symbolic and inspiring view” from the cemetery to the Lincoln Memorial.

In April, a White House official told the Guardian that the arch’s estimated cost was “still being calculated” and would be released in the near future. The official said that the White House expects that the project will be funded through “some combination of public and private funds”.

According to the New York Times , the Trump administration has argued in legal filings that it has the authority to build the arch.

The arch is one of several high-profile projects that Trump is pursuing in Washington during his second term. Others include the White House ballroom , and the renovations to the reflecting pool on the US Capital’s national mall.

The arts panel that approved the arch plans on Thursday is the same panel that also approved Trump’s ballroom earlier this year.

Explore more on these topics Donald Trump Washington DC Trump administration US politics Republicans news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Domestic abuse law fails to recognise danger of tech abuse, Lords committee told
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Domestic abuse law fails to recognise danger of tech abuse, Lords committee told

Policy adviser Jen Reed says tech-facilitated abuse has become ‘increasingly prevalent’ and calls for its inclusion in Domestic Abuse ActThe Domestic Abuse Act fails to fully recognise the danger of technology-facilitated abuse, such as location tracking or hidden stalkerware, a Lords select committee has heard.Tech abuse has become “increasingly prevalent” and “very commonplace now within a domestic abuse context”, said Jen Reed, the head of policy at University College London’

Boys convicted of rape get non-custodial sentences as judge says they should not be criminalised unnecessarily
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Boys convicted of rape get non-custodial sentences as judge says they should not be criminalised unnecessarily

Boys physically overpowered and then filmed attacks on teenage victims in separate incidents in HampshireThree teenage boys convicted of knife-point rape and other serious sexual offences against two teenage girls in Hampshire have not been given custodial sentences because the judge said he “should avoid criminalising these children unnecessarily”.The boys, who were aged between 13 and 14 at the time of their offences, physically overpowered and sexually assaulted the girls, wh

Single sex toilets must exclude transgender people, says EHRC
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Single sex toilets must exclude transgender people, says EHRC

Updated code of practice covering England, Wales and Scotland also relates to changing rooms and follows supreme court rulingSingle-sex toilets and changing rooms in England, Wales and Scotland must exclude transgender men and women, according to a new code of practice from the equalities watchdog.But the long-awaited guidance also says that businesses and service providers have to offer practical alternatives such as gender-neutral toilets for people who do not wish to use serv