Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Business8 days ago

EBay rejects GameStop's $56 billion takeover bid, calling it 'neither credible nor attractive'

CNBC
CNBC

Verified Publisher

EBay rejects GameStop's $56 billion takeover bid, calling it 'neither credible nor attractive'

Many analysts questioned the deal, citing questions about how GameStop would finance the transaction and the strategic rationale.

EBay on Tuesday rejected GameStop's $56 billion takeover proposal, calling the unsolicited bid "neither credible nor attractive." GameStop CEO Ryan Cohen last week unveiled an audacious bid for eBay, offering to acquire the online marketplace for $125 per share in a cash-and-stock deal. EBay is much larger than the video game retailer, with a market cap of just over $48 billion, while GameStop's is roughly $10.3 billion.

"The Board, with the support of its independent advisors, has thoroughly reviewed your proposal and has determined to reject it," Paul Pressler, the chairman of eBay's board, wrote in a letter. "We have concluded that your proposal is neither credible nor attractive." GameStop didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

EBay listed several concerns with GameStop's offer, including "the uncertainty regarding your financing proposal," along with operational risks and the debt load that would result from the proposed transaction.

Cohen said GameStop had lined up a $20 billion financing commitment from TD Securities, part of TD Bank, and the company has about $9 billion in cash on hand, but the funding gap remains substantial.

Many Wall Street analysts threw cold water on the deal, citing a lack of meaningful synergies between the two companies. Cohen also made an awkward and at times combative appearance on CNBC's "Squawk Box," where he offered few details on how he would finance the deal.

"We are offering half cash, half stock, and we have the ability to issue stock in order to get the deal done," Cohen said. "But the full details of the offer are on our website. We'll see what happens." Got a confidential news tip? We want to hear from you.

Sign up for free newsletters and get more CNBC delivered to your inbox Get this delivered to your inbox, and more info about our products and services.

© 2026 Versant Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. A Versant Media Company.

Data is a real-time snapshot *Data is delayed at least 15 minutes.

Global Business and Financial News, Stock Quotes, and Market Data and Analysis.

Read original story at CNBC

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from CNBC