Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
World2 days ago

Experts locate bodies of four missing Italian divers inside Maldives cave

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Experts locate bodies of four missing Italian divers inside Maldives cave

Spokesperson for Indian Ocean island nation says they will try to recover explorers in next couple of daysRescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.Searches had resumed after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them. <a href="https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/18/maldives-cave-italian-

Maldives marine police boats during a search operation in Vaavu Atoll on Saturday, Photograph: Sophia Nasif/EPA Maldives marine police boats during a search operation in Vaavu Atoll on Saturday, Photograph: Sophia Nasif/EPA Experts locate bodies of four missing Italian divers inside Maldives cave Spokesperson for Indian Ocean island nation says they will try to recover explorers in next couple of days Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.

Searches had resumed after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.

The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed on Monday the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.

“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesperson.

He said the four were found “pretty much together”.

“The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.

The body of a fifth Italian, a diving instructor, was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 metres (160ft) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s foreign ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 metres.

The Maldives presidential spokesperson, Mohamed Hussain Shareef, said the government had given the group the necessary permit to research soft corals in the Devana Kandu site.

“What we didn’t know was that it was cave diving,” Shareef said. “Because, as divers will tell you and appreciate, it’s a very different discipline with its own sets of challenges and risks involved, and particularly at that depth, there are any number of things that could have gone wrong.” Shareef said they have suspended the operation of the boat used by the divers “because the regulations here say that if you want to take divers on expeditions, you need a dive school permit, which they didn’t have, sadly”.

The boat operator of the MV Duke of York, Abdul Muhsin Moosa, said the vessel did have permission for recreational depth of up to 30 metres.

“We are sharing these details with the government, as well,” he said, adding that the divers were briefed on arrival at the boat about Maldives’ recreational diving limits and that they are not allowed to go beyond 30 metres.

It is the deadliest single incident in the country’s diving history.

Maldives diver dies in operation to recover bodies of Italians from cave Read more Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving, arrived in the Maldives on Sunday.

Shareef said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldives National Defence Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.

Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.

Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.

Explore more on these topics Maldives Italy Europe news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Young Americans demand court halt Trump’s biggest rollbacks of pollution protections
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Young Americans demand court halt Trump’s biggest rollbacks of pollution protections

Suit says administration is impinging on rights to life and liberty by worsening planet-warming and toxic pollutionEighteen American youth are demanding that a court immediately halt the Trump administration’s repeal of the scientific finding underpinning virtually all US climate regulations.The plaintiffs sued the Trump administration in February days after officials revoked

Sinkhole shuts down runway at New York LaGuardia airport
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Sinkhole shuts down runway at New York LaGuardia airport

Officials say sinkhole discovered at about 11am as emergency crews rush to complete repairsA sinkhole was discovered at New York’s LaGuardia airport on Wednesday, shutting down a runway while emergency crews sought to determine its cause and how to fix it.In a post on X, LaGuardia, which handles domestic travel, said the sinkhole had been discovered at about 11am “near runway 4/22” while the airport’s operator was