Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Worldabout 2 hours ago

Firm finds LA county officials did not discriminate in response to Eaton fire

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Firm finds LA county officials did not discriminate in response to Eaton fire

Altadena group pans report as ‘pages of deflection’ and cites reliance on ‘department insiders’ rather than residentsLos Angeles county fire officials did not discriminate on the basis of race or socioeconomic status and did not delay in their evacuation orders during last year’s deadly Eaton fire in Altadena, a consulting firm found on Monday.At the behest of the county and its fi

Homes being rebuilt amid cleared lots where homes were destroyed by the Eaton fire, on 4 May in Altadena, California.

Photograph: Mario Tama/Getty Images Homes being rebuilt amid cleared lots where homes were destroyed by the Eaton fire, on 4 May in Altadena, California.

Photograph: Mario Tama/Getty Images Firm finds LA county officials did not discriminate in response to Eaton fire Altadena group pans report as ‘pages of deflection’ and cites reliance on ‘department insiders’ rather than residents Los Angeles county fire officials did not discriminate on the basis of race or socioeconomic status and did not delay in their evacuation orders during last year’s deadly Eaton fire in Altadena , a consulting firm found on Monday.

At the behest of the county and its fire department, the California-based firm Citygate Associates conducted an investigation into how evacuation alerts were deployed last January, after emergency response officials came under fierce scrutiny for reported delays.

On the evening of 7 January 2025, the Eaton blaze began, ultimately ravaging more than 9,000 buildings and killing 19 people in the San Gabriel Mountains’ foothill communities.

Citygate wrote in its report that fire officials had been blind, at many times, to the “atypical” blaze’s progression. The firm interviewed fire and sheriff’s department officials and reviewed dispatch logs, weather data and alert records.

Their homes burned in the LA wildfires. A year later, thousands still can’t return Read more Aircraft operations were grounded due to high winds, according to the firm. Warnings and orders were issued as officials became aware of the fire’s spread into north-western Altadena.

The individuals who perished mostly lived west of Lake Avenue, a major thoroughfare that stretches north-south. In that western corridor lay a historic African American, middle-class enclave.

According to some media reports, residents in west Altadena received orders to evacuate nearly 10 hours later than their counterparts to the east. Outcry erupted from the fire’s survivors. In February, California attorney general Rob Bonta launched a civil rights investigation concerning the emergency response.

“The Altadena community deserves transparency, which is why I initiated this independent investigation,” said fire chief Anthony Marrone.

“While the report provides an honest account of our operations, we recognize that no investigation can truly capture the horror and tragedy residents endured. My focus is to ensure that the lessons learned from the Eaton and Palisades fires are turned into lasting changes that will better protect our residents and neighborhoods into the future.” Alluding to the debate about how race and class may have factored into the emergency response, Citygate said that evacuation planners had relied on major north-south and east-west streets such as Lake avenue as anchors for evacuation zones.

Man accused of starting Palisades fire was ‘angry, intense, driving erratically’, lawyers say Read more Citygate also said the fire department’s resources were stretched thin due to a rapidly expanding fire that same day in Pacific Palisades, a Los Angeles neighborhood about 34 miles (55km) to the west.

Altadena for Accountability, a group that has backed Bonta’s investigation, panned the report as “pages of deflection” in a Tuesday statement.

“Fires and emergencies rarely come without chaos. First responders and tax funded agencies have a duty to treat communities equitably and to prevent harm that is preventable,” the group said. “The complexity of the fire is not an excuse.” The advocacy group took fault with the firm’s methodology, saying the emphasis on the accounts of “department insiders” minimized the experiences of residents who were on the scene.

Explore more on these topics Los Angeles California wildfires Race California West Coast Wildfires news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Thailand tightens visa rules for tourists, citing crime by foreigners
Health
The Guardian
The Guardian40 minutes ago1 min read

Thailand tightens visa rules for tourists, citing crime by foreigners

Move brings an end to a 60 day visa-free stay that was agreed with 93 countries, including the UK, US and much of EuropeThailand is drastically cutting the length of visa-free stays for tourists from more than 90 countries in an effort to curb crime involving foreign nationals, officials said on Tuesday.Tourism is vital to the south-east Asian nation’s economy, but foreign arrivals are

Trump critic Thomas Massie defeated in Kentucky Republican House primary
Politics
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Trump critic Thomas Massie defeated in Kentucky Republican House primary

Victory for Ed Gallrein, former Navy Seal hand-picked by Trump, shows strength of president’s grip on party Donald Trump displayed his supremacy over the Republican party on Tuesday when voters in northern Kentucky rejected the maverick congressman Thomas Massie in favour of the US president’s hand-picked challenger.Ed Gallrein, a retired Navy Seal and farmer who wa

Israeli strikes on Lebanon kill at least 19 as clashes with Hezbollah continue despite ceasefire
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Israeli strikes on Lebanon kill at least 19 as clashes with Hezbollah continue despite ceasefire

Single strike on the village of Deir Qanoun al Nahr in the coastal Tyre province killed 10, including three children and three women, health ministry saysIsraeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon on Tuesday killed at least 19 people, including four women and three children, Lebanon’s health ministry said, the latest in near-daily attacks from both sides that have not stopped despite a