Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 2 hours ago

French star Patrick Bruel denies multiple sexual assault allegations

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

French star Patrick Bruel denies multiple sexual assault allegations

Singer and actor who has appeared in more than 40 films faces investigations in France and BelgiumThe French singer and actor Patrick Bruel, the subject of multiple rape allegations, protested his innocence on Sunday and said he would not step away from his work.The Paris prosecutor’s office announced earlier on Sunday that Bruel was the subject of at least four complaints of sexual assault in France, and that the cases would be investigated together.Agence France-Pre

Patrick Bruel is the subject of at least four complaints of sexual assault in France and one in Belgium. He denies the allegations.

Photograph: Magali Cohen/Hans Lucas/AFP/Getty Images View image in fullscreen Patrick Bruel is the subject of at least four complaints of sexual assault in France and one in Belgium. He denies the allegations.

Photograph: Magali Cohen/Hans Lucas/AFP/Getty Images French star Patrick Bruel denies multiple sexual assault allegations Singer and actor who has appeared in more than 40 films faces investigations in France and Belgium The French singer and actor Patrick Bruel, the subject of multiple rape allegations, protested his innocence on Sunday and said he would not step away from his work.

The Paris prosecutor’s office announced earlier on Sunday that Bruel was the subject of at least four complaints of sexual assault in France , and that the cases would be investigated together.

“I have never forced a woman,” Bruel wrote in a statement shared on his Instagram page . “And if I have hurt anyone, I sincerely regret it.” Bruel, who has had a string of top-selling albums and appeared in more than 40 films, also faces a separate investigation in Belgium after a complaint about an alleged sexual assault in Brussels was filed in March.

The 67-year-old, who is acting in a play in Paris, is scheduled to begin a concert tour on 16 June that will take him around France, as well as to Switzerland, Belgium and Canada.

A petition is circulating, backed by feminist groups, calling for the concerts to be cancelled.

But Bruel insisted on Sunday he would “continue to do my job, with the same dedication and the same passion”.

Since March the French investigative news website Mediapart has published allegations from women who have accused Bruel of sexual harassment and sexual assault.

Bruel’s statement on Sunday addressed allegations made in Mediapart by the television presenter Flavie Flament.

On Sunday Bruel said their relationship was “neither violent, nor coercive, nor underhanded”.

“I have never used my fame to abuse anyone or obtain non-consensual relationships,” he wrote. “I understand that our age difference might raise eyebrows today. I also understand that fame or status can skew a romantic relationship.” He added: “For weeks, several voices have been calling for my public condemnation, without a trial, as if the sheer number of accusations were enough to establish the truth. It will be up to the justice system, in which I have complete faith, to shed light on these accusations; it has done so before. I will fight before it to defend the truth.” Bruel’s lawyer, Christophe Ingrain, previously told Agence France-Presse that courts had already ruled on some of the allegations made against his client. These include accusations of sexual harassment and assault by two massage therapists in 2019.

A preliminary investigation was closed due to lack of evidence.

The star is the latest in a string of French movie and music celebrities to face sexual assault claims. Last year the film legend Gérard Depardieu was found guilty of sexually assaulting two women during a film shoot in 2021 and given an 18-month suspended prison sentence. His appeal will be heard in November.

Agence France-Presse contributed to this report Explore more on these topics France Belgium Europe news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

‘Quieter and cleaner’: Sydney to trial electric ferry after two-year delay, with new fish market route slated for 2029
Sports
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

‘Quieter and cleaner’: Sydney to trial electric ferry after two-year delay, with new fish market route slated for 2029

NSW transport minister says contracts signed for 24-metre, battery electric ferry to be trialled for 12 months from 2028Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our breaking news e

Hundreds of children affected by UK’s halting of refugee family reunion, says Red Cross
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Hundreds of children affected by UK’s halting of refugee family reunion, says Red Cross

Charity estimates up to 1,360 children could remain separated from families for every month the suspension continuesHundreds of children every month face being separated from their families since the UK suspended refugee family reunion last September, according to analysis by the British Red Cross.Based on examination of Home

Introducing Stateside with Kai and Carter: Stacey Abrams on why gutting US Voting Rights Act is ‘evil’ – podcast
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Introducing Stateside with Kai and Carter: Stacey Abrams on why gutting US Voting Rights Act is ‘evil’ – podcast

The US supreme court demolished the 1965 Voting Rights Act when it ruled in Louisiana v Callais in April that states can’t consider race in redistricting. Southern states from Tennessee to Alabama have rushed to erase majority Black districts, sparking chaos for the midterm elections. Kai Wright talks with Stacey Abrams, voting rights