Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 8 hours ago

‘Indefensible’: alleged child abuse survivor takes on Albanese government over $2.5bn Nauru deal

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

‘Indefensible’: alleged child abuse survivor takes on Albanese government over $2.5bn Nauru deal

Lawyers of Hazara man who was allegedly sexually abused by carer launch bid to prevent imminent deportation to Pacific islandGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastThe Albanese government’s $2.5bn deal with Nauru, under which hundreds of n

Lawyers for Abdul have launched a bid to prevent the 29-year-old’s imminent deportation to Nauru by challenging its compatibility with Australia’s constitution.

Composite: Victoria Hart/Getty images Lawyers for Abdul have launched a bid to prevent the 29-year-old’s imminent deportation to Nauru by challenging its compatibility with Australia’s constitution.

Composite: Victoria Hart/Getty images ‘Indefensible’: alleged child abuse survivor takes on Albanese government over $2.5bn Nauru deal Lawyers of Hazara man who was allegedly sexually abused by carer launch bid to prevent imminent deportation to Pacific island Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast The Albanese government’s $2.5bn deal with Nauru , under which hundreds of non-citizens will be sent to the tiny Pacific island, will face another legal challenge prompted by an alleged child abuse survivor.

Legal representatives for Abdul*, a Hazara man who was re-detained in immigration detention earlier this month, have launched a bid to prevent the 29-year-old’s imminent deportation to Nauru by challenging its compatibility with Australia’s constitution.

Alison Battisson, Abdul’s lawyer, said his case was “extraordinary and deeply troubling”, owing to claims he was groomed and sexually abused by a carer as a minor after settling in Australia.

Sign up for the Breaking News Australia email The new legal challenge, which was filed in federal court on Tuesday, comes just weeks after the high court dismissed an appeal by an Iranian man, known as TCXM, to stop authorities from exiling him to Nauru for 30 years . The man in his 60s has since been removed to the Pacific island.

Guardian Australia understands the Australian government has sent at least nine non-citizens to Nauru on 30-year visas as part of the agreement, with many more awaiting deportation from detention centres.

Albanese government deports two more men to Nauru in secret, infuriating human rights advocates Read more Battisson said Abdul’s case raised “profound legal and moral concerns” because the Australian government had a duty to protect him and failed.

In 2013, Abdul, then 16, arrived in Australia from Afghanistan and was placed in a community care arrangement after his mother passed away while on Christmas Island, according to a redacted decision record made by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) in May 2023, seen by Guardian Australia.

The AAT record states Abdul accused his carer of grooming and sexually abusing him within six months of his arrival. Eventually, Abdul and his carer were married in a traditional Islamic ceremony just shy of his 18th birthday, he told the AAT.

By 2017, Abdul said he began to realise what had happened to him and confronted the carer, who then took out an apprehended violence order against him. Abdul was found guilty of two counts of rape against the carer in December that year and one of breaking and entering and stealing money from her. He was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison.

When a non-citizen commits an offence that attracts a jail sentence of 12 months or more, their visa is automatically cancelled. The AAT can set the cancellation aside after considering a range of circumstances.

The AAT ultimately set aside Abdul’s visa cancellation in May 2023 after he served his time in jail. The member ruled in his favour in part because the “system appears to have failed [Abdul] including that those tasked with protecting him played a role in his abuse”.

But he remained in indefinite immigration detention until his release in June 2024, when the government issued him a temporary visa pending his removal.

In late 2024, the Albanese government passed controversial laws allowing Australia to enter into deals under which non-citizens – those who cannot be placed into indefinite detention, cannot remain in Australia because of domestic policy and cannot be returned to their place of birth because they are stateless or at risk of persecution – could be sent to foreign countries.

Albanese defends $2.5bn Nauru deal as transparency advocates warn taxpayer dollars could fuel ‘kleptocracy’ Read more Abdul was allegedly taken by 10 border force officers from his Sydney apartment early one morning in May and placed back into detention awaiting his removal to Nauru. He will remain there until the legal challenge is finalised.

Battisson said his case was one that should “shock the conscience”.

“Deporting Abdul to Nauru is not just harsh — it is indefensible. It risks condemning a deeply vulnerable person to indefinite detention with no pathway forward,” she said.

“There were multiple missed opportunities to intervene and protect Abdul when he was a minor. Those failures cannot now be erased by deporting him offshore.” The case has also attracted the attention of Greens senator David Shoebridge, a strident critic of the government’s deal with Nauru, who said it was a “story of failure and cruelty”.

“For years, we have seen the major parties seeking to dehumanise people seeking asylum and demonise them,” Shoebridge said.

“This is the result.” * Name has been changed Explore more on these topics Australian politics Nauru Australian immigration and asylum Pacific islands Asia Pacific Migration Anthony Albanese news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Nvidia’s revenue blows past Wall Street expectations as AI boom accelerates
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Nvidia’s revenue blows past Wall Street expectations as AI boom accelerates

Many analysts view company’s financial performance as a broader referendum on AI buildoutNvidia continued its years-long streak of beating Wall Street’s expectations for growth on Wednesday, reassuring most investors that the AI boom, particularly the global explosion of datacenters, will continue apace.“The buildout of AI factories – the larg

‘We will not go back to Jim Crow’: thousand of Mississippians rally for voting rights
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

‘We will not go back to Jim Crow’: thousand of Mississippians rally for voting rights

Demonstration, held at historic location where the ‘Mississippi Plan’ was enacted, comes as southern states race to dilute Black voting powerThousands of Mississippians, along with allies from other southern states, gathered at the state’s War Memorial Building auditorium on Wednesday in support of voting rights. It was the latest in a series of actions protesting the supreme court’s recent decision gutting the provisio

Reeves to promise free summer bus rides for children and food tariff cuts in living costs package
Sports
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Reeves to promise free summer bus rides for children and food tariff cuts in living costs package

Chancellor launches ‘Great British summer savings scheme’ after Keir Starmer postpones fuel duty increasePlanned fuel duty rise to be scrapped, says Keir StarmerRachel Reeves is to promise free summer bus rides for children and cut tariffs on some food imports, as part of a package of measures aimed at easing the costs of the Iran conflict.