Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 3 hours ago

Iran war: Israeli strike kills two in southern Lebanon

DW News
DW News

Verified Publisher

Iran war: Israeli strike kills two in southern Lebanon

Israel's military said it carried out an airstrike in southern Lebanon that killed two. DW has the latest.

Click here to add us as a Preferred Source on Google , then tap "Star" or "Preferred" to keep DW news at the top of your feed.

Two days ago, a similar measure advanced in the US Senate.

The resolution would require Trump to end military operations against Iran unless authorized by Congress.

The delay underscored growing unease within Trump’s Republican Party over the conflict, which began more than two months ago without congressional approval.

The House had blocked three previous war powers resolutions in close votes earlier this year, but ​the margins had become increasingly narrow. The last resolution failed on ​a tie ‌vote.

"We had the votes without question, ‌and they knew it," Democratic Representative Gregory Meeks said after the vote was canceled.

The measure is now expected to return in June after a Memorial Day recess.

The White House has defended its military campaign as legal, arguing Trump has authority as commander-in-chief to order limited operations against imminent threats.

"A short while ago, [Israeli military] surveillance identified two armed individuals moving in a suspicious manner hundreds of meters from Israeli territory, in southern Lebanon," the Israeli military posted on Telegram.

"Following their identification and continuous monitoring by the IDF, the armed individuals were struck and eliminated in an aerial strike." Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported that separate overnight strikes in the Tyre district killed four people and wounded two medics at an Islamic Health Committee site.

Israel and the Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group have continued exchanging fire despite a ceasefire that was extended last week following talks in Washington between Lebanese and Israeli representatives.

Here is a quick recap of our top headlines from Thursday: Tehran said it is reviewing Washington's latest peace offer after US President Donald Trump said he could wait a few days to "get the right answers" US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he hoped Pakistan’s engagement with Tehran could help advance efforts to end the war Iran's supreme leader, Mojtaba Khamenei, issued a directive that the country's near-weapons-grade uranium not be sent abroad IEA warned oil market at risk of entering 'red zone' by summer Israel said it deported 'all foreign activists' from Gaza aid flotilla https://p.dw.com/p/5EAPM Show more posts

Read original story at DW News

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from DW News

Follow DW live: NATO welcomes US troop boost in Poland; US says not punishing Europe over Iran war; Allies push for clarity on US troops in Europe
Technology
DW News
DW News11 minutes ago1 min read

Follow DW live: NATO welcomes US troop boost in Poland; US says not punishing Europe over Iran war; Allies push for clarity on US troops in Europe

NATO foreign ministers are meeting in Helsingborg, Sweden against the backdrop of Washington's plans to draw down its presence on the continent. US top diplomat Rubio insisted the move is not 'punitive.' More on DW.