Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 1 hour ago

Iran war: 'Slight progress' in peace talks, Rubio says

DW News
DW News

Verified Publisher

Iran war: 'Slight progress' in peace talks, Rubio says

US Secretary of State Rubio said there was "a little bit of movement" in negotiations to end the Iran war. Meanwhile, four European nations called on Israel to stop the expansion of West Bank settlements. DW has more.

Click here to add us as a Preferred Source on Google , then tap "Star" or "Preferred" to keep DW news at the top of your feed.

Skip next section 'Slight progress' in Iran peace negotiations: Rubio 05/22/2026 May 22, 2026 'Slight progress' in Iran peace negotiations: Rubio US Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke about the negotiations between the United States and Iran to end the war, saying "slight progress" had been made.

Negotiators saw "a little bit of movement and that's good," Rubio said, adding that conversations were ongoing.

Rubio spoke following a meeting with his NATO counterparts in Sweden.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to carry out an extensive military operation against Iran should negotiations not bear fruit.

Fighting in the war, which began with US-Israeli strikes at the end of February, halted in April as part of a ceasefire agreement while talks for a lasting peace continue.

"Europe cannot continue to defend a rules-based international order while permitting trade with illegal settlements ," McEntee said, adding that the Israeli settlements are a breach of international law.

"Europe’s trade policy must be consistent with its legal and moral obligations," the Irish minister wrote.

One European country that has already announced a ban on goods from Israeli West Bank settlements is the Netherlands.

Dutch Foreign Trade Minister Sjoerd Sjoerdsma took to his X account on Friday to say that the country "does not wish to contribute to the maintenance of that unlawful situation." Israel is 'advancing the annexation of the West Bank' To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video https://p.dw.com/p/5ECXH Skip next section European leaders calls for settlement expansion stop 05/22/2026 May 22, 2026 European leaders calls for settlement expansion stop The leaders of Germany, Britain, Italy and France called on the Israeli government to stop its expansion of settlements, while also ensuring accountability for settler violence.

"Over the past few months, the situation in the West Bank has deteriorated significantly," the four countries said in a statement, "Settler violence is at unprecedented levels. The policies and practices of the Israeli government, including a further entrenchment of Israeli control, are undermining stability and prospects for a two-state solution.

Parts of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu 's far-right government are known to have contacts with extreme settlers, and the government has repeatedly emphasized its intention to continue expanding Jewish settlements in the illegally occupied West Bank.

Several Israeli ministers have openly said the newly founded settlements are meant to prevent the possible establishment of a Palestinian state.

The European statement said, "International law is clear: Israeli settlements in the West Bank are illegal." The countries concluded their statement reaffirming their "unwavering commitment to a comprehensive, just and lasting peace based on a negotiated two-state solution in accordance with relevant UN Security Council resolutions where two democratic states, Israel and Palestine, live side by side in peace and security within secure and recognised borders." Israel pushes illegal West Bank settlement to record numbers To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video https://p.dw.com/p/5ECRd Skip next section Dozens of ships go through Hormuz Strait: Iran 05/22/2026 May 22, 2026 Dozens of ships go through Hormuz Strait: Iran The past 24 hours saw 35 ships traveling through the Strait of Hormuz , Iran has said.

The vessels' passing was made possible by their coordination with the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, according to the country's state broadcaster.

Data provider Kpler only confirmed 10 passages on Wednesday, an increase from four the previous day.

Iran charges high fees for passage through the Strait, one of the world's most important maritime routes for oil, resulting in condemnation by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

"There's no country in the world that should accept this," he said.

"My worry is that the Iranians have always over-negotiated," Gargash said at the Globsec conference in Prague, adding Iran missed many opportunities to reach agreements over the years "because of a tendency to overestimate their cards." "I hope they don't do that this time," he added.

The US and Iran are currently negotiating a possible agreement to end the war between them , with Pakistan acting in a mediating role.

Iran hit the United Arab Emirates and other Gulf states over the course of the war with the United States and Israel, citing US bases hosted by the countries.

Can Gulf nations close the gap between Iran and the US?

Lebanon's army said it "affirms that all officers and members of the military institution are performing their national duties with utmost professionalism, responsibility and discipline, in accordance with the decisions and directives issued by the army command." Lebanon's soldiers are only loyal to the military institution, the army added.

Why did the US Treasury sanction a Lebanese army officer?

The United States Treasury imposed sanctions on Lebanese army officer Samir Hamadi on Thursday, alongside security official Khattar Nasser Eldin, accusing them of sharing information with Hezbollah.

This was the first time Lebanese officers were sanctioned by the United States.

While Lebanon is formally at war with Israel, the Lebanese government has sought to distance itself from the recent fighting between Israel and Hezbollah .

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam banned Hezbollah — which also has a political wing present in Lebanese parliament — from carrying out military and security activities in March.

"The US continues to have global commitments that it needs to meet in terms of our force deployment, and that constantly requires us to reexamine where we put troops," Rubio told journalists ahead of a NATO meeting in Sweden.

"This is not a punitive thing, it's just something that's ongoing," However, the US top diplomat added that President Donald Trump's "disappointment" with the country's allies over their lack of involvement in the Iran war would need addressing.

"That will have to be addressed, that won't be solved or addressed today," Rubio said before his meeting with his NATO counterparts.

Click here for more of our coverage on the NATO meeting in Sweden on Friday.

In an interview with the Financial Times published on Friday, Lescure said a second coordinated release of reserves was not discussed during this week's G7 finance ministers' meeting in Paris.

He said oil stockpiles are finite and any decision on further releases would depend on clearer visibility over the conflict and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

Thirty-two member countries of the International Energy Agency released 400 million barrels of oil and refined fuel in March to help stabilize markets after the war disrupted supplies.

Speaking at a congressional hearing, Cao said foreign military sales would resume once the administration determined supplies were adequate.

"We're just making sure we have everything, but then the foreign military sales will continue when the ⁠administration deems ​necessary," he said.

However, Taiwan's Presidential Office said on Friday it had received no indication that Washington planned to adjust a proposed arms package, reportedly worth up to $14 billion (€12.06 billion), according to Reuters news agency.

US President Donald Trump has not committed to approving the sale and said after talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping that he would decide on the matter "over the next fairly short period of time." The US is legally required to provide de facto self-governing Taiwan with defensive weapons , despite recognizing Beijing diplomatically and maintaining only informal ties to Taipei.

Iran's foreign ministry said in a statement that the decision to impose sanctions on Mohammad Reza Raouf Sheibani is "another example of the lawlessness and disregard for the principles of international law and the UN Charter." The country also condemned the sanctioning of Lebanese parliament members of Iran-backed militia Hezbollah and officials of the Amal Movement, a political party that represents Shiite Muslim interests and has an alliance with Hezbollah's political wing in Lebanese parliament.

This comes after Lebanon itself declared Shabani a persona non grata and ordered him to leave the country last March.

Two days ago, a similar measure advanced in the US Senate.

The resolution would require Trump to end military operations against Iran unless authorized by Congress.

The delay underscored growing unease within Trump’s Republican Party over the conflict, which began more than two months ago without congressional approval.

The House had blocked three previous war powers resolutions in close votes earlier this year, but ​the margins had become increasingly narrow. The last resolution failed on ​a tie ‌vote.

"We had the votes without question, ‌and they knew it," Democratic Representative Gregory Meeks said after the vote was canceled.

The measure is now expected to return in June after a Memorial Day recess.

The White House has defended its military campaign as legal, arguing Trump has authority as commander-in-chief to order limited operations against imminent threats.

"A short while ago, [Israeli military] surveillance identified two armed individuals moving in a suspicious manner hundreds of meters from Israeli territory, in southern Lebanon," the Israeli military posted on Telegram.

"Following their identification and continuous monitoring by the [Israeli military], the armed individuals were struck and eliminated in an aerial strike." Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported that separate overnight strikes in the Tyre district killed four people and wounded two medics at an Islamic Health Committee site.

Israel and the Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group have continued exchanging fire despite a ceasefire that was extended last week following talks in Washington between Lebanese and Israeli representatives.

Here is a quick recap of our top headlines from Thursday: Tehran said it is reviewing Washington's latest peace offer after US President Donald Trump said he could wait a few days to "get the right answers" US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he hoped Pakistan’s engagement with Tehran could help advance efforts to end the war Iran's supreme leader, Mojtaba Khamenei, issued a directive that the country's near-weapons-grade uranium not be sent abroad IEA warned oil market at risk of entering 'red zone' by summer Israel said it deported 'all foreign activists' from Gaza aid flotilla https://p.dw.com/p/5EAPM Show more posts

Read original story at DW News

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from DW News