Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Worldabout 3 hours ago

Malaysia orders TikTok to address ‘defamatory’ content about king

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera

Verified Publisher

Malaysia orders TikTok to address ‘defamatory’ content about king

Watchdog instructs social media giant to strengthen moderation following circulation of 'grossly offensive' content.

Save Share facebook x whatsapp-stroke copylink Malaysia’s internet watchdog has ordered TikTok to act against content targeting the country’s monarchy [File: Sean Gallup/Getty Images] By John Power Published On 22 May 2026 22 May 2026 Malaysia’s internet watchdog has ordered TikTok to take action against “offensive and defamatory” content about the country’s monarchy.

The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) said on Thursday that it had instructed the video-sharing platform to take “immediate remedial measures” in response to an account purporting to be linked to King Sultan Ibrahim.

Recommended Stories list of 4 items list 1 of 4 US says it has not changed its stance on sanctioning Francesca Albanese list 2 of 4 At least 16 people killed in two attacks in northern Honduras list 3 of 4 Over 2,000 gather in San Diego to mourn three men killed in mosque attack list 4 of 4 US Senate pushes back against Trump’s $1.8bn ‘anti-weaponisation’ fund end of list The MCMC said its order requires the social media company to strengthen its moderation policies and provide a “formal explanation” for its failure to block the “grossly offensive, false, menacing and insulting” content, including AI-generated videos and manipulated images.

The regulator said it takes a “serious view” of online platforms being used to disseminate content that is false or “detrimental to public order”, particularly as it relates to the monarchy.

It added that it issued the order after finding TikTok’s response to previous notifications to be “unsatisfactory”.

TikTok, founded by Chinese tech company ByteDance, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“MCMC will continue to take firm and proportionate action where necessary to ensure digital platforms operating in Malaysia uphold their responsibilities in maintaining a safe, secure and respectful online environment,” the watchdog said in a statement.

Malaysia, a constitutional monarchy, penalises speech deemed to inspire “hatred or contempt” against the royal family under a sedition law passed in 1948.

The watchdog’s order against TikTok is the latest move by authorities in the Southeast Asian country to regulate social media platforms.

In January, the MCMC briefly blocked access to the AI assistant Grok amid a global backlash over its use to create sexually explicit images of people without their consent.

Malaysia’s government is also currently preparing to enforce legislation passed last year to prohibit social media use by under-16s, following similar moves by countries including Australia, Indonesia and France.

Read original story at Al Jazeera

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from Al Jazeera