Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 2 hours ago

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Police allege that a man stole camera equipment from a victim of the Bondi Beach shooting in the aftermath of the attack.

Photograph: Dean Lewins/EPA Police allege that a man stole camera equipment from a victim of the Bondi Beach shooting in the aftermath of the attack.

Photograph: Dean Lewins/EPA Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned it Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast NSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equipment from one of the victims of the Bondi beach terror attack , in the aftermath of the shooting.

In a statement, police allege that the man had been at the Hanukah event before the shooting on 14 December, in which 15 people were killed.

During their investigation into the attack, detectives “identified that one of the victims – a 61-year-old retired police officer and photographer – had his camera equipment stolen in the aftermath of the attack”.

On Wednesday morning police executed a search warrant in Sydney’s north-western suburbs.

They said they located and seized a camera, handcuffs and electronic devices, and found a small amount of white crystal powder and further electronics in a car.

A 35-year-old man was arrested and taken to Riverstone police station, where he was charged with larceny and disposing of stolen property.

“Police will allege the man was a photographer at the Hanukah event who stole the deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment before pawning it days later,” the statement said.

He was granted strict conditional bail to appear before Blacktown local court on Monday 22 June.

Explore more on these topics New South Wales Bondi beach terror attack Sydney news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian40 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr

Young Americans demand court halt Trump’s biggest rollbacks of pollution protections
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Young Americans demand court halt Trump’s biggest rollbacks of pollution protections

Suit says administration is impinging on rights to life and liberty by worsening planet-warming and toxic pollutionEighteen American youth are demanding that a court immediately halt the Trump administration’s repeal of the scientific finding underpinning virtually all US climate regulations.The plaintiffs sued the Trump administration in February days after officials revoked