Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology12 days ago

Middle East war back on? UAE responds to fresh attacks, US and Iran trade fire

France 24
France 24

Verified Publisher

Middle East war back on? UAE responds to fresh attacks, US and Iran trade fire

The United Arab Emirates says it's responded to fresh missile and drone attacks by Iran this Friday. The strikes come hours after the US says three of its navy destroyers in the Strait of Hormuz were targeted. President Donald Trump ordered retaliatory strikes - but then downplayed the hostilities and said the ceasefire still stands. Analysis by Douglas Herbert, FRANCE 24 international affairs commentator.

To display this content from YouTube, you must enable advertisement tracking and audience measurement.

Accept Manage my choices One of your browser extensions seems to be blocking the video player from loading. To watch this content, you may need to disable it on this site.

Try again © France 24 05:10 Middle East war back on? UAE responds to fresh attacks, US and Iran trade fire Middle East Issued on: 08/05/2026 - 17:28 Share The United Arab Emirates says it's responded to fresh missile and drone attacks by Iran this Friday. The strikes come hours after the US says three of its navy destroyers in the Strait of Hormuz were targeted. President Donald Trump ordered retaliatory strikes - but then downplayed the hostilities and said the ceasefire still stands. Analysis by Douglas Herbert, FRANCE 24 international affairs commentator.

Video by: Douglas HERBERT Keywords for this article Middle East Iran Mojtaba Khamenei Israel Benjamin Netanyahu USA Donald Trump Lebanon ceasefire United Arab Emirates Read more Read less Iran and the US trade fire over Hormuz, Trump says ceasefire still in effect 08/05/2026 Middle East Israel and Hezbollah continue to trade blows despite the ceasefire 08/05/2026 Middle East Iran on the verge of economic asphyxiation -- rare footage from Tehran 08/05/2026 Middle East What we know about the latest exchange of fire between the US and Iran 08/05/2026 Middle East China's 'key priorities': Open Hormuz, get oil flowing, avoid 'getting dragged into conflicts' 06/05/2026 Asia / Pacific 'Significant threat to local ecosystem: Israel's war on Lebanon generated 16 million tons of rubble' 06/05/2026 Middle East Iran Nobel winner Narges Mohammadi at risk of dying in custody 06/05/2026 Middle East US suspends Hormuz operation: Washington believes close to deal with Iran 06/05/2026 Middle East Iran Nobel Peace Prize winner Narges Mohammadi 'between life and death' 06/05/2026 Middle East

Read original story at France 24

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from France 24

UN General Assembly backs world court climate ruling, US among nations opposing
Technology
France 24
France 2431 minutes ago1 min read

UN General Assembly backs world court climate ruling, US among nations opposing

The United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday adopted a resolution reinforcing countries’ obligations to combat climate change, though the text was weakened under pressure from major greenhouse gas emitters. The move follows an advisory opinion by the International Court of Justice last year calling failure to meet climate commitments “unlawful” and raising the prospect of reparations.

Stellantis - Dongfeng Joint Venture will see Chinese maker's EVs built in France
World
France 24
France 24about 2 hours ago1 min read

Stellantis - Dongfeng Joint Venture will see Chinese maker's EVs built in France

French-Italian auto group Stellantis and China's Dongfeng have announced a plan to launch a joint venture based in Europe, with Stellantis having a controlling 51% stake. The deal would see Dongfeng's new electric models assembled in Stellantis' plant in western France to comply with the EU's new "Made in Europe" rule that would require 70% of EV content made locally. Also in the segment, one man in the US has turned a broken pink Barbie car into a solution to combat soaring fuel prices.