Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology12 days ago

Moscow marks Victory Day parade with a Red Square parade amid tight security

France 24
France 24

Verified Publisher

Moscow marks Victory Day parade with a Red Square parade amid tight security

President Vladimir Putin gave a speech on Saturday at Russia’s annual Victory Day parade in Red Square commemorating the defeat of Nazi Germany in World War II. Authorities have scaled back the traditional military display amid fears of Ukrainian attacks despite a fragile US-backed ceasefire intended to prevent disruptions to the commemorations.

Advertising Moscow marks Victory Day parade with a Red Square parade amid tight security Europe President Vladimir Putin gave a speech on Saturday at Russia’s annual Victory Day parade in Red Square commemorating the defeat of Nazi Germany in World War II. Authorities have scaled back the traditional military display amid fears of Ukrainian attacks despite a fragile US-backed ceasefire intended to prevent disruptions to the commemorations.

Issued on: 09/05/2026 - 07:28 Modified: 09/05/2026 - 10:42 4 min Reading time Share By: FRANCE 24 Russian President Vladimir Putin delivers a speech during a military parade on Victory Day, marking the 81st anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany in World War Two, in Red Square in central Moscow, Russia, May 9, 2026, in this still image taken from video.

© Kremlin.ru via Reuters Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday voiced confidence of victory in Ukraine as he oversaw a military parade on Red Square commemorating the defeat of Nazi Germany in World War II .

Security was tight in Moscow as Putin and several foreign leaders attended the parade, even as a US-brokered three-day ceasefire eased concerns about possible Ukrainian attempts to disrupt the festivities.

Putin, in power for more than a quarter-century, has used Victory Day, Russia’s most important secular holiday, to showcase the country’s military might and rally support for his military action in Ukraine, now in its fifth year.

Speaking at the parade, Putin hailed Russian troops fighting in Ukraine, declaring that they “face an aggressive force that is armed and supported by the entire bloc of NATO ".

Read more Russia loses ground – but not the war – in Ukraine “Victory has always been and will be ours,” Putin said as columns of troops lined up on Red Square. “The key to success is our moral strength, courage and valour, our unity and ability to endure anything and overcome any challenge.” But this year, for the first time in nearly two decades, the parade took place without tanks, missiles and other heavy weapons, aside from a traditional flyover of combat jets.

Officials said the sudden change of format was due to the “current operational situation” and pointed to the threat of Ukrainian attacks. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the authorities have taken “additional security measures".

Russia declared a unilateral ceasefire for Friday and Saturday, while Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced a truce which was supposed to begin on May 6, but neither of them held as the parties traded blame for continuing attacks.

US President Donald Trump announced Friday that Russia and Ukraine have bowed to his request for a ceasefire running Saturday through Monday and an exchange of prisoners, declaring that the break in fighting could be the “beginning of the end” of the war.

Zelensky, who said earlier this week that the Russian authorities “fear drones may buzz over Red Square” on May 9, followed up on Trump's statement by issuing a decree mockingly permitting Russia to hold its Victory Day celebrations on Saturday, declaring Red Square temporarily off-limits for Ukrainian strikes.

Peskov, the Kremlin spokesman, shrugged off Zelensky’s decree as a “silly joke”. “We don’t need anyone’s permission to be proud of our Victory Day,” Peskov told reporters.

Russia’s bigger and better-equipped military has been making slow but steady gains along the more than 1,000-kilometer (over 600-mile) front line. Ukraine has hit back with increasingly efficient long-range attacks, striking Russian energy facilities, manufacturing plants and military depots. It has developed drones capable of reaching targets over 1,000 kilometers (more than 600 miles) deep into Russia, far beyond its capabilities before 2022.

Russia and Ukraine trade major attacks despite Victory Day ceasefire To display this content from YouTube, you must enable advertisement tracking and audience measurement.

Accept Manage my choices One of your browser extensions seems to be blocking the video player from loading. To watch this content, you may need to disable it on this site.

Try again © France 24 01:52 Russian authorities warned that if Ukraine attempts to disrupt Saturday’s festivities, Russia will carry out a “massive missile strike on the centre of Kyiv.” The Russian Defence Ministry warned the civilian population there and employees of foreign diplomatic missions of “the need to leave the city promptly". The EU said its diplomats wouldn’t leave the Ukrainian capital despite Russian threats.

Putin has used Victory Day celebrations to encourage national pride and underline Russia’s position as a global power. The Soviet Union lost 27 million people in 1941-45 in what it calls the Great Patriotic War, an enormous sacrifice that left a deep scar in the national psyche and remains a rare point of consensus in the nation’s divisive history under Communist rule.

Victory Day parades on Red Square have involved a broad array of heavy weapons – from armored vehicles to nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missiles – every year since 2008. Smaller parades are held elsewhere across the country, but this time many of them have also been pared down or even canceled altogether for security reasons.

As the troops prepared to march across Red Square on Saturday, the authorities ordered restrictions on all mobile internet access and text messaging services in the Russian capital, citing the need to ensure public safety. The government has methodically tightened internet censorship and established increasingly stringent controls over online activities, causing rumblings and rare public expressions of discontent.

Malaysia’s King Sultan Ibrahim Iskandar, Laos President Thongloun Sisoulith, Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev , Uzbekistan's President Shavkat Mirziyoyev and Belarus’ authoritarian leader Alexander Lukashenko were set to attend the festivities in the Russian capital. Prime Minister Robert Fico of Slovakia, a European Union member, was to meet with Putin and lay flowers at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier memorial just outside the Kremlin walls but planned to stay away from the Red Square parade.

(FRANCE 24 with AP) Advertising Keywords for this article Russia Vladimir Putin World War II Soviet Union Ukraine

Read original story at France 24

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from France 24

‘The aim is to erase our identity’: How south Lebanon’s cultural heritage is going up in smoke
Technology
France 24
France 24about 2 hours ago1 min read

‘The aim is to erase our identity’: How south Lebanon’s cultural heritage is going up in smoke

The Israeli Army is accused of destroying important cultural and religious sites as part of its widespread demolition campaign in southern Lebanon. The NGO Green Southerners has been documenting the destruction of churches, mosques and archaeological sites and denounces what they say is a calculated attack on the historic link between locals and their homeland.

Police sue to block Jan 6 rioters from payouts via Trump's 'Anti-Weaponization Fund'
Technology
France 24
France 24about 3 hours ago1 min read

Police sue to block Jan 6 rioters from payouts via Trump's 'Anti-Weaponization Fund'

Two police officers who defended the US Capitol from a pro-Trump mob on January 6, 2021, filed suit Wednesday to block those who took part in the violence from receiving payouts from a new fund totaling nearly $1.8 billion. The fund, destined for Trump allies claiming political prosecution, was created this week in exchange for President Donald Trump dropping his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS.

Digital bottleneck: How Iran wants to use internet access for leverage in the war
Technology
France 24
France 24about 3 hours ago1 min read

Digital bottleneck: How Iran wants to use internet access for leverage in the war

Tehran is floating the idea of charging the world’s largest tech companies – including Google, Meta, Microsoft and Amazon – for using the undersea internet cables crossing the Strait of Hormuz in a new attempt to exploit its control over the critical waterway to ratchet up economic pressure on the West.