Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 1 hour ago

NATO: Rutte says US troop withdrawal won't hurt Europe

DW News
DW News

Verified Publisher

NATO: Rutte says US troop withdrawal won't hurt Europe

NATO's Mark Rutte said US troop reductions in Europe will be structured and not harm defenses. The Trump administration has been aggressive and unclear about the drawdown but a US pivot has been in the works for years.

Rutte: US troop withdrawals 'rotational forces,' do not impact NATO defense plans "When it comes to the announcement, the 4,000 to 5,000… it is rotational forces not having an impact on NATO's defense plans," the military alliance's leader told reporters.

Rutte's comments come after US President Donald Trump 's most recent attack on the alliance, which was sparked by German Chancellor Friedrich Merz 's criticism of the US-Israeli war in Iran .

In response to the German leader's remarks, Trump said the US would immediately withdraw 5,000 US troops from the country — something that is practically impossible and would greatly decrease US power projection as these troops do not primarily protect Germany but rather are stationed as forward operating units ready for deployment mainly in Africa and the Middle East.

Trump Cabinet members including Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio have sought to clarify confusion over the president's threat to withdraw forces from Germany and later Poland.

What to make of US canceling troop deployment to Poland To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video On Tuesday, Vance said the deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland had been delayed not canceled. Rubio is set to meet with European NATO members in Sweden this week.

Still, as shocked as European allies seem to be over Trump's threat, the US has been planning to pivot is defenses toward other theaters, mainly Asia, for over a decade.

Rutte touched on this in his remarks, saying: "We know that adjustments will take place. The US has to pivot more towards, for example, Asia. This will take place over time and in a structured way." The Pentagon, too, addressed the situation, saying it would reduce the number of US troop brigades in Europe from four to three, meaning that troop levels would fall to 2021 levels .

US to make announcement on cutting forces available to NATO during crises Beyond this, Rutte also addressed expected cuts to the number of forces the US will be willing to contribute to NATO in the event of a crisis. European NATO members expect a US announcement on this at a meeting of senior defense officials in Brussels on Friday.

Rutte said talks on the US contribution to the so-called NATO force model had been ongoing for over a year and were directly tied to dramatic increases in defense spending on the part of European member states.

"This is normal business," said Rutte, "so this was to be expected. I think it is only right that this happens." Trump has repeatedly accused US military allies of freeloading and has even threatened to leave the US-led alliance , forcing other member states to increase spending and consider how they can best defend themselves amid uncertainty over US reliability.

WEF 2026: Can Europe defend itself?

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Edited by: Wesley Dockery

Read original story at DW News

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from DW News