Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 2 hours ago

NS&I to contact bereaved families owed £367m after missing savings scandal

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

NS&I to contact bereaved families owed £367m after missing savings scandal

The bank’s interim chief executive says ‘this issue should never have happened’, but warns it may take time to process claimsNational Savings and Investments bank will start to contact thousands of families affected by a missing savings scandal next week, as it confirmed how much they are owed.In March, the chief executive of the state-backed bank was forced out after it emerged there had been long-running problems with the

NS&I holds more than £240bn on behalf of over 24 million customers.

Photograph: Russell Hart/Alamy NS&I holds more than £240bn on behalf of over 24 million customers.

Photograph: Russell Hart/Alamy NS&I to contact bereaved families owed £367m after missing savings scandal The bank’s interim chief executive says ‘this issue should never have happened’, but warns it may take time to process claims National Savings and Investments bank will start to contact thousands of families affected by a missing savings scandal next week, as it confirmed how much they are owed.

In March, the chief executive of the state-backed bank was forced out after it emerged there had been long-running problems with the tracing of accounts belonging to customers who had died .

At the time, NS&I estimated that as much as £476m had been mistakenly withheld from families. That figure has now been revised down to £367m with up to 34,000 estates affected, according to a short update published on Tuesday.

Sir Jim Harra, the former HM Revenue and Customs boss parachuted in as the bank’s interim chief executive, repeated the bank’s apology: “This issue should not have happened,” he said. “Beginning the process of repaying these funds is a key step in putting things right.” NS&I is one of the largest savings organisations in the UK, holding more than £240bn on behalf of 24 million customers, and operates a monthly draw for holders of premium bonds. There have been complaints that it failed to pay out cash prizes to the families of deceased savers, and reports it delayed payments and lost track of money.

The errors happened because the search process used when handling a bereavement claim failed to identify all relevant NS&I products, Harra said. “The issue was resolved for current and new bereavement claims from January 2026 and operational processes changed so that it does not reoccur.” However there was a sting in the tail as Harra admitted this new, more thorough search process “takes longer than before and has unfortunately resulted in delays to current and new claims”.

He said: “We need to ensure that everybody who makes a bereavement claim with NS&I is treated sympathetically and has their case processed as quickly as possible. Today, this process is taking longer than it should. We have brought in additional staff to get the service back on track.” NS&I reiterated that affected families were not required to do anything. The bank is going to contact the personal representatives and executors of estates with holdings of £10 or more directly.

The pensions minister, Torsten Bell, said this will happen in phases. “NS&I will begin contacting the first cohort next week, with payments made shortly after contact. NS&I aims to return holdings to their rightful owners as swiftly as possible and expects to have completed this remediation programme in the first half of 2027.” Bell added that Harra was tasked with leading a wider review into the background of the tracing problem at the bank, and “what lessons must be learned”. He is due to report back before the summer recess.

To ensure estates have not been disadvantaged by the delay, payments will be adjusted upwards by whichever number is higher: the interest accrued since the error occurred, or the Bank of England base rate plus one percentage point.

NS&I also said payments that were made as a result of the tracing error would be exempt from inheritance tax. At the same time, executors would not be required to pay income tax on the sums that would ordinarily be due.

Explore more on these topics Money Banks and building societies Savings news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Trump turns to Middle East allies as deal to end Iran war proves elusive
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian37 minutes ago1 min read

Trump turns to Middle East allies as deal to end Iran war proves elusive

President claims planned Tehran attack postponed to allow talks to continue – but no indication peace plan is imminentAs he seeks an exit from the Iran war, Donald Trump is increasingly outsourcing his policymaking to US allies in the Middle East, while the White House appears unable to find a simple way to end the fighting and reopen global shipping lanes held by Tehran.In Trump’s telling, the “dealmaker-in-chief” has maintained a consistent policy toward Iran aimed at preventi

Has anybody seen Nigel? Speculation swirls as Farage performs disappearing act
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian38 minutes ago1 min read

Has anybody seen Nigel? Speculation swirls as Farage performs disappearing act

As campaigners take to the streets for what could be the most significant byelection for decades, the Reform leader’s absence remains a mysteryIt’s been six days since Nigel Farage cancelled a scheduled appearance at a Reform UK rally in Sunderland, a key election target in Labour’s heartlands.The reasons given – chaos in government and what appeared to be an impending Labour leadership race – seemed logical. After all, as a quotation sometimes attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte g

Rubio criticizes WHO’s Ebola response as US continues sweeping public health cuts
Health
The Guardian
The Guardian38 minutes ago1 min read

Rubio criticizes WHO’s Ebola response as US continues sweeping public health cuts

US secretary of state says WHO was ‘a little late’ in identifying deadly Ebola outbreak in the DRC and UgandaUS secretary of state Marco Rubio said on Tuesday that the World Health Organization (WHO) was “a little late” in identifying the deadly Ebola outbreak in the the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.On Tuesday, Rubio told reporters: “The lead is obviously going to be CDC (the Centers for Disease Control) and the World Health Organization, which was a little late t