Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology6 days ago

NSW police to drop charges against Isaac Herzog protesters laid using unlawful public assembly restrictions

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

NSW police to drop charges against Isaac Herzog protesters laid using unlawful public assembly restrictions

Lawyers calling for all charges to be withdrawn after Sydney town hall rally against Israeli presidentFollow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our breaking news email, <a href="ht

Police during a protest against Israeli president Isaac Herzog’s visit to Australia at Sydney town hall on 9 February.

Photograph: Flavio Brancaleone/AAP View image in fullscreen Police during a protest against Israeli president Isaac Herzog’s visit to Australia at Sydney town hall on 9 February.

Photograph: Flavio Brancaleone/AAP NSW police to drop charges against Isaac Herzog protesters laid using unlawful public assembly restrictions Lawyers calling for all charges to be withdrawn after Sydney town hall rally against Israeli president Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updates Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast Charges laid under a now defunct law against people who attended a Sydney protest against Isaac Herzog will be dropped, police have confirmed, but it remains unclear how many of the 30 protesters charged the decision affects.

The New South Wales police commissioner, Mal Lanyon, said on ABC Radio on Wednesday morning that, pending a review, police would drop charges laid under the public assembly restriction declaration (Pard) law. That law was in force during the February protest at Sydney’s town hall against the Israeli president’s visit to Australia and was cited by police as the reason a march could not go ahead.

Last month, the court of appeal struck down the Pard law , ruling in favour of the Palestine Action Group and Blak Caucus, and finding giving police the power to restrict all protests for a period of 90 days after a terrorist attack was unconstitutional. The law was introduced after December’s Bondi beach terror attack , in which 15 people were killed and more than 40 injured when two gunmen opened fire on a Jewish celebration of Hanukah at a park.

Lanyon said on Wednesday that police were also investigating if directions given under a separate “major events” declaration, which gave police expanded move on and search powers, were lawful.

Sign up for the Breaking News Australia email The premier, Chris Minns, had said in the wake of the Pard being struck down that because the anti-Herzog protest was also covered by a major events declaration charges would still stand for those who did not comply with police directions.

The 30 protesters charged face various offences that fall outside the Pard or major events declaration, including assault police officer, behave in an offensive manner, and throwing an object. Lawyers have indicated that it is unclear whether charges of failing to comply with a direction fell under the Pard law or not.

In Downing Centre local court on Wednesday, 14 of the protesters had their matter adjourned to make way for the review of the charges laid under the Pard.

‘White shirt guy’ claims he was assaulted by police at the Sydney rally against Isaac Herzog. Now he plans to sue Read more Lawyer Osman Samin, who is acting for five of those protesters, told the court: “The Pard has fallen over and that might have consequences for a number of these prosecutions, so I understand the police will be reviewing these matters to determine whether they proceed from this point onwards.” The police prosecutor then told the court that there were “further reasons” for the review, including “considerations to other challenges in relation to other acts”.

The Palestine Action Group has indicated that it may challenge the constitutional validity of the major events declaration, which was in force for the duration of Herzog’s visit and is typically used for major sporting or music events. A major events declaration may limit civil liability claims against police.

Outside court, Nick Hanna, who is representing four of the protesters and has been calling for all the charges to be withdrawn, said he hoped they would be in due course.

He said it remains unclear what police intend to do for the charges that are not relevant to the Pard, but said attempts to “untangle” who was charged under the Pard was an “artificial exercise”.

“The simple reality is that the police crackdown was, in no small part, due to the police refusing to facilitate the peaceful march from town hall to Parliament House, and that refusal was based almost entirely, if not entirely, on the existence of that part,” Hanna said.

The full bench in the court of appeal found in its ruling on the Pard that restricting all protests in order to protect social cohesion was not a “constitutionally legitimate purpose”.

Legal experts have said the landmark judgment could have far-reaching consequences by limiting future attempts by the government to control speech and protests on the basis of “social cohesion”.

Explore more on these topics Sydney New South Wales Australian police and policing Protest news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Middle East crisis live: Iran warns it will ‘open new fronts’ against US if attacks resume after Trump suspends strikes
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian25 minutes ago1 min read

Middle East crisis live: Iran warns it will ‘open new fronts’ against US if attacks resume after Trump suspends strikes

The US president said he called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday so that peace talks could continueFull report: Trump claims planned attack on Iran postponed after Tehran makes new proposal to end warIran’s army has warned it would “open new fronts” against the US if it resumes attacks on the country amid reports that Donald Trump is w

Minister to be grilled over Mandelson documents being withheld – UK politics live
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian25 minutes ago1 min read

Minister to be grilled over Mandelson documents being withheld – UK politics live

Darren Jones to answer urgent question over the issue following damning statement from intelligence and security committeeOn Friday parliament’s intelligence and security committee issued a damning statement about the government’s response to the humble address requiring the release of documents relating to the appointment of Peter Mandelson as ambassador to the U

Nato jet shot down reported stray Ukrainian drone over Estonia, defence minister says – Europe live
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian27 minutes ago1 min read

Nato jet shot down reported stray Ukrainian drone over Estonia, defence minister says – Europe live

Estonia’s defence minister Hanno Pevkur confirmed the news to the Estonian news website Delfi and also the public broadcaster, ERRThe latest drone alerts come as Ukraine and Latvia were this morning forced by Russia to repeatedly refute Moscow’s claims that Kyiv was preparing attacks against Russia from Latvia.Ukraine’s foreign ministry spokesperson confirmed that Ukraine does not use the territory of Latvia for its operations against Russia and