Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Healthabout 3 hours ago

Passenger from Congo boards flight ‘in error’, prompting diversion to Canada amid Ebola outbreak

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Passenger from Congo boards flight ‘in error’, prompting diversion to Canada amid Ebola outbreak

Air France flight en route to Detroit, Michigan, landed in Montreal after virus-related travel restrictionsSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailAn <a href="https://www.thegua

An Air France plane was redirected to Canada on Wednesday after it was determined that a passenger from the DRC had boarded ‘in error’.

Photograph: Anadolu/Getty Images An Air France plane was redirected to Canada on Wednesday after it was determined that a passenger from the DRC had boarded ‘in error’.

Photograph: Anadolu/Getty Images Passenger from Congo boards flight ‘in error’, prompting diversion to Canada amid Ebola outbreak Air France flight en route to Detroit, Michigan, landed in Montreal after virus-related travel restrictions Sign up for the Breaking News US newsletter email An Air France flight headed to Detroit, Michigan, was redirected to Canada on Wednesday after it was determined that a passenger from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) had boarded “in error” amid new Ebola -related travel restrictions, officials with the US Customs and Border Protection agency (CBP) said.

“Due to entry restrictions put in place to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus, the passenger should not have boarded the plane,” a CBP spokesperson said in a statement.

“CBP took decisive action and prohibited the flight carrying that traveler from landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne county airport, and instead, diverted to Montreal, Canada.” US curbs on travelers exposed to deadly viruses may infringe rights and deter volunteers Read more The spokesperson added that CBP, in coordination with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “is taking the necessary measures to protect public health and reduce the risk of Ebola disease introduction into the United States”.

On Monday, the CDC and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) implemented temporary measures aimed at preventing the Ebola disease from entering the US amid ongoing outbreaks in east and central Africa. The measures include enhanced travel screening, entry restrictions and additional public health protocols.

Among the new rules are entry restrictions for non-US passport holders who have been in “Uganda, DRC or South Sudan in the previous 21 days”. The order is in effect for 30 days, according to the announcement.

The DHS will implement further entry restrictions beginning on Thursday for foreign travellers arriving to the US from countries at the center of the outbreak. In a DHS notice submitted to the Federal Register, expected to be published on Thursday, the department states all US-bound flights carrying foreign travelers who have been in Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the last 21 days must land at Washington-Dulles international airport in Virginia, “where the US government is focusing public health resources to implement enhanced public health measures”.

On Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organization said that so far, there had been almost 600 suspected cases of Ebola and 139 suspected deaths, warning that the numbers were expected to rise. The director-general said that 51 cases had been confirmed in the DRC, “although we know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger”. Uganda has also confirmed two cases, he said.

During his remarks, the director-general also said that an American citizen who was working in the DRC had also been confirmed positive and had been transferred to Germany.

Explore more on these topics US news Ebola Air France/KLM World Health Organization Democratic Republic of the Congo news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Senate Republicans expected to ditch $1bn funding plan for Trump’s ballroom
Politics
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Senate Republicans expected to ditch $1bn funding plan for Trump’s ballroom

Top Republicans fear diverting taxpayer dollars toward the White House ballroom will alienate voters before midtermsSenate Republican leaders are expected to ditch a $1bn proposal for security measures tied to Donald Trump’s White House ballroom following a backlash from members of their own party.Under pressure from Trump, top Republican lawmakers tried to latch the proposal on to a roughly $70bn bill to restore funding to US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the bo

Macron under pressure over reparatory justice for France’s role in slave trade
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Macron under pressure over reparatory justice for France’s role in slave trade

Demands grow for launch of formal discussion process on how country should address legacies of enslavementEmmanuel Macron is under pressure to open discussions on reparatory justice for France’s role in hundreds of years of enslavement of African people as he makes a key speech on the legacy of slavery.On Thursday the French president will celebrate the 25th anniversary of France becoming the first country in the world to recognise the slave trade and slavery as crimes against h