Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology9 days ago

Philippine senator flees ICC arrest over role in Duterte’s drug war

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera

Verified Publisher

Philippine senator flees ICC arrest over role in Duterte’s drug war

Senator Ronald Dela Rosa has evaded a drug war warrant against him.

Listen Listen (2 mins) Save Click here to share on social media share-nodes Share facebook x whatsapp-stroke copylink google Add Al Jazeera on Google info Philippines Senator Ronald Dela Rosa attends a plenary session at the Senate of the Philippines in Manila on May 11, 2026 [AFP] By Heba Habib , AFP and Reuters Published On 11 May 2026 11 May 2026 A senator from the Philippines has taken refuge inside the country’s parliament after the International Criminal Court unsealed an arrest warrant regarding his role in the Philippines’ deadly drug war.

Ronald Dela Rosa was pictured by local media fleeing into the Senate building on Monday, as police sought to detain him.

Recommended Stories list of 3 items list 1 of 3 Duterte’s drug war faces judgement at the ICC list 2 of 3 ICC confirms crimes against humanity trial of ex-Philippine leader Duterte list 3 of 3 Philippine lawmakers impeach Vice President Sara Duterte end of list The warrant, which had been held under seal since November, was spurred by the former police chief’s role in ex-President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly war on drugs, which prosecutors ‌say killed tens of thousands during his time in office in 2016-2022.

The ICC confirmed on Monday evening that the warrant had been issued confidentially on November 6. It charges Dela Rosa as an “indirect co-perpetrator” in the “crime against humanity of murder”.

The former police chief is accused of responsibility for killings carried out between July 2016 and April 2018.

Fleeing Duterte is accused of having created, funded and armed death squads to kill suspected narcotics dealers and users during his time as president.

The former head of state was arrested and taken to The Hague by the ICC in March 2025. Charges of crimes against humanity were confirmed in April this year.

The ICC has named eight co-perpetrators in the case, including Dela Rosa, who ran the Philippine National Police during the height of the drug war, and oversaw operations that human rights groups say killed tens of thousands.

Ex-Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte puts a hat on then-Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Ronald ‘Bato’ Dela Rosa [Noel Celis/AFP] Rumours of an impending warrant in November had seen Dela Rosa vanish from public life. However, he resurfaced on Monday to cast the deciding vote in a Senate leadership coup by Duterte ally Alan Peter Cayetano.

Advertisement However, on arrival at the parliament, he found National Bureau of Investigation agents in wait, and local media video showed him fleeing through the chamber’s corridors.

Cayetano quickly placed the Senate on “lockdown” and told reporters he would only honour an arrest order made by a Philippine court.

Later on Monday, Dela Rosa went live on Facebook to appeal for support.

“They want to fly me to The Hague,” he said. “I became Philippine National Police chief to work, then this is what they will do to me?”

Read original story at Al Jazeera

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from Al Jazeera