Federal court case begins for classical pianist who alleges Melbourne Symphony Orchestra unlawfully discriminated due to his viewsFollow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our break
Jayson Gillham is suing the MSO over a concert he claims was cancelled as an attempt to silence him over his stance on the Gaza conflict.
Photograph: Rémi Chauvin/PR IMAGE View image in fullscreen Jayson Gillham is suing the MSO over a concert he claims was cancelled as an attempt to silence him over his stance on the Gaza conflict.
Photograph: Rémi Chauvin/PR IMAGE Pianist Jayson Gillham’s case against MSO mustn’t turn into ‘roving inquiry’ on Middle East conflict, judge warns Federal court case begins for classical pianist who alleges Melbourne Symphony Orchestra unlawfully discriminated due to his views Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updates Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast The judge hearing the case of a classical pianist who alleges the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra unlawfully discriminated against him because of his views on Israeli forces killing Palestianian journalists says the matter will not be a “roving inquiry” over conflict in the Middle East.
Pianist Jayson Gillham is suing the MSO over a cancelled Melbourne concert he was contracted to perform on 15 August 2024, a cancellation which he claims was an attempt to silence him over his stance on the Gaza conflict.
At a performance four days earlier in Southbank’s Iwaki Auditorium, Gillham had played a short piece called Witness, composed by Australian multimedia artist Connor D’Netto, which he dedicated to Palestinian journalists who were killed by Israeli forces.
Introducing the work, the pianist addressed the audience, stating that more than 100 Palestinian journalists had been killed, and that the targeting of journalists in a conflict was a war crime under international law.
The trial is set down for 15 days and started in the federal court in Melbourne on Monday.
Justice Graeme Hill told the court before opening submissions in the trial that while he was aware the matter had attracted public controversy: “This is not a case about that public controversy, and I’m not going to let the case turn into a roving inquiry about that public controversy.
“Things about a situation in the Middle East are not, as I see it now, part of the legal issues in this case, even if they are part of the reason we are here.” Sign up for the Breaking News Australia email Gillham’s barrister, Sheryn Omeri KC, said in her opening submission that there was nothing in the MSO contract that prevented Gillham from making the statement.
The statement was his genuinely held political belief, and nothing about it would have had such an effect on the audience that the MSO was warranted in cancelling the future performance.
She said Gillham was applauded after performing Witness – despite claims from MSO that it was not well-received – and no audience member raised concerns with him about his introduction when he spoke with them and signed CDs after the performance.
“There is a difference between feeling uncomfortable and feeling unsafe,” Omeri said.
“Nothing in Mr Gillham’s introduction to Witness could or would have made anybody feel unsafe in the true sense of that term.” Gillham is expected to be the first witness, and appear later on Monday.
Justin Bourke KC, for the MSO, said that Gillham was playing on the MSO’s stage, and was therefore not permitted to share his personal views on the “most hotly contested controversial issue around the world”.
“There should be some commonsense expectations when you engage a classical musician to appear on your stage,” he said.
“That you won’t abuse a captive audience with statements that would clearly upset or offend some members of your audience … that you will work corporately with your host about what will occur on stage [and] you won’t deceive your host.
“Fundamentally, there’s a time and a place for everything.” The trial continues.
Explore more on these topics Australia news Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Australian law news Share Reuse this content



