Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology10 days ago

Polish ex-minister flees Hungary to the US after PM Magyar says country won’t protect people wanted elsewhere

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Polish ex-minister flees Hungary to the US after PM Magyar says country won’t protect people wanted elsewhere

Zbigniew Ziobro has been accused in Poland of leading an organised criminal enterprise and abuse of power, which he deniesPoland’s former justice minister Zbigniew Ziobro, wanted on several criminal charges in his home country, has fled Hungary to the United States, he confirmed on Sunday, after being granted asylum from former Hungarian p

Poland's former justice minister Zbigniew Ziobro has confirmed he has fled from Hungary to the United States Photograph: Robert Kowalewski/Agencja Wyborcza.pl/Reuters View image in fullscreen Poland's former justice minister Zbigniew Ziobro has confirmed he has fled from Hungary to the United States Photograph: Robert Kowalewski/Agencja Wyborcza.pl/Reuters Polish ex-minister flees Hungary to the US after PM Magyar says country won’t protect people wanted elsewhere Zbigniew Ziobro has been accused in Poland of leading an organised criminal enterprise and abuse of power, which he denies Poland’s former justice minister Zbigniew Ziobro, wanted on several criminal charges in his home country, has fled Hungary to the United States, he confirmed on Sunday, after being granted asylum from former Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orbán’s government last year.

“I am in the United States,” Ziobro told rightwing Polish broadcaster Republika. “I arrived yesterday, and this is my third time travelling around the country,” he said.

Ziobro faces up to 25 years in prison in Poland if convicted of the charges laid against him. They include abuse of power, leading an organised criminal enterprise and using funds meant for crime victims to buy Israeli Pegasus spyware, allegedly to monitor political opponents.

He has rejected the charges against him, accusing the centrist Polish government of conducting a witch-hunt against conservatives.

Hungary grants asylum to former Polish minister amid abuse of power investigation Read more After Orbán’s party was ousted from power in an election in April, Hungary’s new prime minister, Péter Magyar – who was sworn in on Saturday – said that Hungary would no longer protect people wanted elsewhere.

“Hungary will no longer be a dumping ground for internationally wanted criminals,” he told journalists the day after his victory, naming as examples Ziobro and his former deputy, Marcin Romanowski, suspected of embezzling nearly 40m euros ($47m).

The Republika broadcaster reported earlier on Sunday that Ziobro was in the US, while liberal broadcaster TVN24 published a photo of Ziobro at Newark Liberty International airport, which it said had been taken by another traveller.

It is unclear how Ziobro managed to travel to the US, as Poland had previously said his travel documents – including his Polish and diplomatic passports – had been revoked.

Local news site Onet reported that Ziobro had received a US journalist visa linked to Republika. The broadcaster, aligned with the Polish right, later announced it had hired the ex-justice minister as its political commentator in the US.

The current Polish justice minister, Waldemar Zurek, wrote on X that Poland “will reach out to the USA and Hungary with questions regarding the legal basis that enabled Zbigniew Ziobro to … enter the United States despite lacking valid documents”.

“We will not cease or efforts to ensure that he and Mr. Marcin Romanowski are held accountable before the Polish justice system,” he said.

Earlier, Zurek told the Polsat broadcaster: “If it is confirmed that Ziobro is in the USA, then [Poland] will request his extradition.” Ziobro was the leader of the ultra-conservative Sovereign Poland party, a junior coalition partner of the nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party, and served as justice minister and attorney general between 2015 and 2023.

He is also known as the architect of contentious judicial reforms , which sparked a standoff between Poland and the European Commission.

Asked by Republika about his potential extradition, Ziobro replied: “I am ready to appear before any court, and an American independent court is certainly an independent court.” “If they want to initiate extradition proceedings, by all means,” he added, calling extradition cases in US courts “a demanding procedure”.

Explore more on these topics Poland Hungary Europe news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Nvidia’s revenue blows past Wall Street expectations as AI boom accelerates
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Nvidia’s revenue blows past Wall Street expectations as AI boom accelerates

Many analysts view company’s financial performance as a broader referendum on AI buildoutNvidia continued its years-long streak of beating Wall Street’s expectations for growth on Wednesday, reassuring most investors that the AI boom, particularly the global explosion of datacenters, will continue apace.“The buildout of AI factories – the larg

‘We will not go back to Jim Crow’: thousand of Mississippians rally for voting rights
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

‘We will not go back to Jim Crow’: thousand of Mississippians rally for voting rights

Demonstration, held at historic location where the ‘Mississippi Plan’ was enacted, comes as southern states race to dilute Black voting powerThousands of Mississippians, along with allies from other southern states, gathered at the state’s War Memorial Building auditorium on Wednesday in support of voting rights. It was the latest in a series of actions protesting the supreme court’s recent decision gutting the provisio

Reeves to promise free summer bus rides for children and food tariff cuts in living costs package
Sports
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Reeves to promise free summer bus rides for children and food tariff cuts in living costs package

Chancellor launches ‘Great British summer savings scheme’ after Keir Starmer postpones fuel duty increasePlanned fuel duty rise to be scrapped, says Keir StarmerRachel Reeves is to promise free summer bus rides for children and cut tariffs on some food imports, as part of a package of measures aimed at easing the costs of the Iran conflict.