Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology1 day ago

Russia to conduct three-day nuclear drills on May 19-21

France 24
France 24

Verified Publisher

Russia to conduct three-day nuclear drills on May 19-21

Russia's armed forces will carry out exercises of its nuclear forces from May 19 to 21, the defence ministry said on Tuesday. The drills will include more than 65,000 troops and 7,800 types of equipment and weapons, the ministry said.

Advertising Russia to conduct three-day nuclear drills on May 19-21 Europe Russia's armed forces will carry out exercises of its nuclear forces from May 19 to 21, the defence ministry said on Tuesday. The drills will include more than 65,000 troops and 7,800 types of equipment and weapons, the ministry said.

Issued on: 19/05/2026 - 08:24 Modified: 19/05/2026 - 09:01 1 min Reading time Share By: FRANCE 24 A Yars intercontinental ballistic missile is test-fired as part of Russia's nuclear drills from a launch site in Plesetsk, northwestern Russia. This photo was taken from video released by Russian Defense Ministry Press Service on October 26, 2022.

© AP Russia 's army on Tuesday began three days of nuclear weapons drills involving thousands of troops across the country, as Kyiv escalates its drone attacks and with President Vladimir Putin headed to China .

Throughout its more than four-year offensive in Ukraine Moscow has flaunted its possession of nuclear weapons and repeatedly threatened to use them.

The drills also come months after the last nuclear arms pact between Russia and Washington broke down and amid a fresh spate of comments from Putin touting the prowess of Moscow 's atomic forces.

"From May 19 to 21, 2026, the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation are conducting an exercise on the preparation and use of nuclear forces in the event of a threat of aggression," the defence ministry said.

Read more Putin seeks to reinforce China ties after Trump-Xi summit The ending of the New START agreement with Washington in February formally released the world's two largest nuclear powers from a raft of restrictions.

The drills will involve more than 65,000 troops and 7,800 types of equipment and weapons, including more than 200 missile launchers, the defence ministry said. Aircraft, ships, submarines and nuclear submarines will all take part.

The ministry said it would also test-launch ballistic and cruise missiles.

"The exercise will also address issues related to the joint training and use of nuclear weapons deployed on the territory of the Republic of Belarus ," the ministry added.

Russia has deployed a nuclear-capable missile, the Oreshnik, to its ally Belarus, which borders NATO .

Moscow announced the start of the drills hours before Putin was due in China for a two-day visit.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP) Advertising Keywords for this article Russia nuclear weapons China Vladimir Putin

Read original story at France 24

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from France 24

UN General Assembly backs world court climate ruling, US among nations opposing
Technology
France 24
France 2430 minutes ago1 min read

UN General Assembly backs world court climate ruling, US among nations opposing

The United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday adopted a resolution reinforcing countries’ obligations to combat climate change, though the text was weakened under pressure from major greenhouse gas emitters. The move follows an advisory opinion by the International Court of Justice last year calling failure to meet climate commitments “unlawful” and raising the prospect of reparations.

Stellantis - Dongfeng Joint Venture will see Chinese maker's EVs built in France
World
France 24
France 24about 2 hours ago1 min read

Stellantis - Dongfeng Joint Venture will see Chinese maker's EVs built in France

French-Italian auto group Stellantis and China's Dongfeng have announced a plan to launch a joint venture based in Europe, with Stellantis having a controlling 51% stake. The deal would see Dongfeng's new electric models assembled in Stellantis' plant in western France to comply with the EU's new "Made in Europe" rule that would require 70% of EV content made locally. Also in the segment, one man in the US has turned a broken pink Barbie car into a solution to combat soaring fuel prices.