The US has banned non-Americans who have visited DR Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the last 21 days from entry.
Save Share facebook x whatsapp-stroke copylink The 2026 World Cup is being cohosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico [Henry Romero/Reuters] By AFP Published On 19 May 2026 19 May 2026 The United States will ensure that the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s (DRC) football team can enter the country to play in the World Cup, making an exemption to an Ebola-related entry ban, according to a senior Department of State official.
“We expect the DRC team to be able to attend the World Cup,” the official said on condition of anonymity.
Recommended Stories list of 4 items list 1 of 4 Arsenal’s Arteta claims Premier League to step from Guardiola’s shadow list 2 of 4 Arsenal crowned Premier League champions as Man City draw at Bournemouth list 3 of 4 Southampton expelled from world’s most lucrative football match for spying list 4 of 4 Guardiola on verge of Manchester City exit at end of Premier League season end of list The US has banned non-Americans who have been in the DRC, Uganda or South Sudan in the previous 21 days from visiting the country due to a deadly outbreak of Ebola.
The US official said the DRC team, the only one among the three countries to have qualified for football’s premier event, had already been training in Europe, so they may not have been subject to the ban in any case.
But if they had, in fact, been in the DRC over the last 21 days, they would be subject to the sort of strict screening required for returning US citizens.
“We’re working to get them into the same protocol for testing in isolation that American citizens returning and permanent residents would be,” the official said.
The official said the exemption would not apply to everyday fans from the DRC looking to come to cheer on the team.
The DRC begin their World Cup campaign in Texas against Portugal on June 17.



