Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Healthabout 2 hours ago

WHO says 12th person infected with hantavirus detected in the Netherlands

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera

Verified Publisher

WHO says 12th person infected with hantavirus detected in the Netherlands

WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, urged all countries to monitor passengers who were on the cruise ship.

Save Share facebook x whatsapp-stroke copylink Personnel in personal protection equipment suits gather onboard the Dutch Hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius in the port of Rotterdam on May 19, 2026 [AFP] By AFP Published On 22 May 2026 22 May 2026 The World Health Organization has urged countries to continue monitoring passengers for hantavirus after a case was detected among a Dutch crew member of the ship at the centre of the outbreak.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO chief, told a news conference in Geneva on Friday that he urges all countries to monitor the passengers who were on board the MV Hondius cruise ship and “move carefully for the remainder of the quarantine period”.

Recommended Stories list of 3 items list 1 of 3 WHO confirms 10 global hantavirus cases, Hondius crew remain symptom-free list 2 of 3 The Take: Hantavirus – How scared should we be?

list 3 of 3 Hantavirus: how scared should we be?

end of list Tedros said a Dutch crew member had tested positive and was now in isolation, taking the total positive cases to 12.

So far, three people have died due to the virus.

Tedros reiterated that no deaths have been reported since May 2, when the outbreak was first reported to the WHO.

“More than 600 contacts continue to be followed in 30 countries, and a small number of high-risk contacts are still being located,” he added.

Dutch authorities also confirmed that the infected crew member had been taken to hospital.

“The Andes virus has been detected in one person who was in quarantine in the Netherlands. The patient has since been admitted to the hospital as a precaution and is in isolation,” said the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM).

“The RIVM understands that this news may raise questions or concerns. However, the chance of further spread in the Netherlands remains very small,” the statement said.

According to the RIVM, everyone who had evacuated from the Dutch-flagged ship to the Netherlands is tested every week, and two separate laboratories confirmed the positive test.

It added that the person who had tested positive had been isolating at home.

The initial cruise ship had departed on April 1 from Ushuaia, Argentina, before heading to Cape Verde and then Tenerife in Spain’s Canary Islands.

While the WHO is investigating how the virus got on board the ship, it is believed that the first person to contract it could have been exposed to rodents during a bird-watching expedition.

While rodents spread hantavirus, the Andes strain is the only known strain capable of spreading from human to human.

Read original story at Al Jazeera

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from Al Jazeera