Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Health4 days ago

Canada confirms first hantavirus case in isolation in British Columbia

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Canada confirms first hantavirus case in isolation in British Columbia

The person was on board the MV Hondius, the center of the outbreak that has claimed three livesCanadian officials said on Saturday that one of the four Canadians currently quarantining in British Columbia after being exposed to the hantavirus while on board the cruise ship where the outbreak occurred has presumptively tested positive.Speaking at news conference, Dr Bonnie Henry, British Columbia’s provincial heal

The cruise ship MV Hondius near the port of Granadilla de Abona, Tenerife, Spain, on 11 May 2026.

Photograph: Borja Suárez/Reuters View image in fullscreen The cruise ship MV Hondius near the port of Granadilla de Abona, Tenerife, Spain, on 11 May 2026.

Photograph: Borja Suárez/Reuters Canada confirms first hantavirus case in isolation in British Columbia The person was on board the MV Hondius, the center of the outbreak that has claimed three lives Canadian officials said on Saturday that one of the four Canadians currently quarantining in British Columbia after being exposed to the hantavirus while on board the cruise ship where the outbreak occurred has presumptively tested positive.

Speaking at news conference , Dr Bonnie Henry, British Columbia’s provincial health officer, said the individual developed mild symptoms, including fever and headache, two days ago, and that the individual and their partner, who had also been on board the cruise ship where they had been isolating together, were transferred to a hospital in Victoria for assessment and testing.

Henry said that on late Friday evening the test results for the individual who had been experiencing mild symptoms came back positive, though she stressed that the results were currently “what we call a presumptive positive” and that the samples have been sent to the national microbiology lab in Winnipeg for confirmatory testing. Results from those tests are expected to be confirmed over the course of the weekend, Henry said.

“Clearly this is not what we hoped for, but it is what we planned for,” Henry said.

“The patient is stable, and their symptoms remain mild at this point,” Henry said. “And they are still in hospital, in isolation, being monitored and receiving care as needed.” The patient’s partner tested negative, but will also remain in hospital for further monitoring and assessment, Henry said.

Out of what Henry described as “an abundance of caution”, the third individual who had been isolating in the same lodging has also been transferred to hospital for monitoring. The fourth person continues to isolate at home under daily observation, she said.

The four Canadians who had been on board the Dutch cruise ship MV Hondius , where the hantavirus outbreak occurred, arrived in Victoria on 10 May, Henry said, adding that on arrival, all four of them were assessed and none of them had any symptoms at that time.

They were transferred directly to lodgings to begin a period of quarantine for a minimum of 21 days.

The World Health Organization has recommended a 42-day quarantine period.

Since 11 April, three people who were on board the cruise ship have died of suspected hantavirus infections of hantavirus, including a Dutch couple and a German woman.

Explore more on these topics Hantavirus Infectious diseases Canada Americas news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian39 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr