Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology6 days ago

Canada is welcome to join Eurovision, says song contest director

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Canada is welcome to join Eurovision, says song contest director

‘We know that Mark Carney wants to sort of embrace Europe,’ says competition director Martin GreenCanada is welcome to join Eurovision if it wishes, its director has said, months after the country revealed it wanted to “explore” joining the song contest in its federal budget.Eurovision director Martin Green told the BBC on Wednesday that Canada hadn’t yet applied, but would be welcome to. <a href="https://www.thegu

Eurovision 2026 hosts Victoria Swarovski and Michael Ostrowski perform during semi-final 2 in Vienna, Austria on Thursday. Canada is welcome to join the song contest, its director Martin Green has confirmed, after the country floated the idea last year.

Photograph: Jessica Gow/TT/Shutterstock View image in fullscreen Eurovision 2026 hosts Victoria Swarovski and Michael Ostrowski perform during semi-final 2 in Vienna, Austria on Thursday. Canada is welcome to join the song contest, its director Martin Green has confirmed, after the country floated the idea last year.

Photograph: Jessica Gow/TT/Shutterstock Canada is welcome to join Eurovision, says song contest director ‘We know that Mark Carney wants to sort of embrace Europe,’ says competition director Martin Green Canada is welcome to join Eurovision if it wishes, its director has said, months after the country revealed it wanted to “explore” joining the song contest in its federal budget.

Eurovision director Martin Green told the BBC on Wednesday that Canada hadn’t yet applied, but would be welcome to.

“We know that Mark Carney wants to sort of embrace Europe,” he said.

Canada pushes to join Eurovision: ‘This is about protecting our identity’ Read more “We will welcome anyone through those doors who wants to share the values of this wonderful occasion and stand on our stage with friends,” he added.

As the name suggests, Eurovision is mainly a showcase for European talent but it is open to countries with broadcasting organisations that are members of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU). Canada’s national broadcaster, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) is not a full member, but is eligible as an “associate member”.

The only associate member ever approved to join Eurovision is Australia, which was granted permission to enter in 2015 due to the contest being hugely popular there.

The CBC has confirmed it has sent staff to this year’s contest as “observers”.

Canada’s prime minister, Mark Carney, first raised the idea of Canada joining the song contest in November in his 2025 federal budget – yet another sign of his government’s strategic realignment away from the US and towards Europe.

A single line tucked in the nearly 500-page document revealed the government was working with CBC to “explore participation in the Eurovision”.

Two government sources told the CBC that Carney – who spent years studying and living in the UK, most recently as the governor of the Bank of England – was personally involved in Canada’s push.

“I think it’s a platform for Canada to shine,” the country’s finance minister, François-Philippe Champagne said in November . “This is about protecting our identity – yes, we want to protect our sovereignty, but you also want to help people in the arts sector and in the film industry to make sure they can shine around the world. And we have a lot to offer as Canadians.” Eurovision scholar and associate professor at the University of Southern Queensland, Jess Carniel told the Guardian that Canada would have to demonstrate to the EBU that its participation would be good business.

“Canada has got a lot of work to do if they want to join,” Carniel said. “Australia joined after years of building a relationship with the EBU and building a business case. Underpinning that was the idea that Australia could help establish a regional Asia Pacific song contest. It was not just because Australia really loves Eurovision, which is what is often trotted out. You don’t get to join just because you want to join.” Canada has mulled participating in the song contest before; in 2022, the CBC ruled out the idea after deciding it was “prohibitively expensive”.

While Canada has never formally participated in Eurovision, the contest has hosted an array of Canadian artists. Most famously was Céline Dion, who won the contest for Switzerland in 1988 with the song Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi. In 2001, Natasha St-Pier represented France, as did La Zarra in 2023.

Contestants do not have to be citizens of the country they are representing, although some participating countries do mandate it.

Explore more on these topics Eurovision Canada Mark Carney Americas Pop and rock news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian40 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr