Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology9 days ago

Canberra teenager charged over allegedly planning ACT terror attack

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Canberra teenager charged over allegedly planning ACT terror attack

Seventeen-year-old, previously charged over alleged extremist material, now faces additional charges relating to allegedly preparing for an attackFollow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our breaking news email<

Australian federal police had previously charged the teenager, 17, over alleged extremist material. He now faces additional charges relating to preparing for a terror attack.

Photograph: Bianca de Marchi/AAP View image in fullscreen Australian federal police had previously charged the teenager, 17, over alleged extremist material. He now faces additional charges relating to preparing for a terror attack.

Photograph: Bianca de Marchi/AAP Canberra teenager charged over allegedly planning ACT terror attack Seventeen-year-old, previously charged over alleged extremist material, now faces additional charges relating to allegedly preparing for an attack Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updates Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast A Canberra teenager has become the first person to be charged with planning a terrorist act in the ACT.

On 5 November last year, the 17-year-old was arrested and charged after alleged violent extremist material was located during a search warrant. He has been remanded in custody since his arrest.

On Tuesday, he was charged with additional terrorism offences by the territory’s joint counter terrorism team (JCTT), including acts in preparation for a terrorist act and transmitting violent extremist material.

The Australian federal police, ACT policing and Asio alleged the teenager was planning an attack on people not known to him, motivated by views aligned with “nationalist and racist extremism”.

Sign up for the Breaking News Australia email He appeared in the ACT’s children court on Tuesday to face the two additional charges. Preparing for a terrorist attack has a maximum sentence of life in prison.

AFP assistant commissioner of counter-terrorism, Peter Crozier, said it was alarming to see young Australians being exposed to violent extremist material and propaganda.

“Violent extremist material is circulated by terrorist organisations to promote violence, hate and division within Australian society,” he said.

“We strongly emphasise the important role that parents, schools, social services and technology companies have in preventing access to violent extremist material by our youth.” ACT policing deputy chief police officer Richard Chin said the priority for police was “to ensure the safety of the ACT community”.

“We are focused on limiting the accessibility of violent extremist material and promoting education and awareness for those in protective roles, including parents, educators and healthcare providers in the ACT, to maximise prevention and early intervention options,” he said.

“Parents and teachers are often the first to spot when something doesn’t seem right. Recognising early signs of changes in a young persons behaviour can play a crucial role in guiding young people to safe and supportive pathways.” Explore more on these topics Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Canberra Australian security and counter-terrorism news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian39 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr