Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology9 days ago

Catherine West backs down from Starmer challenge but urges him to go by September

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Catherine West backs down from Starmer challenge but urges him to go by September

Backbencher says Keir Starmer’s speech was ‘too little, too late’ but stops short of standing herselfWho are the main threats to Keir Starmer’s Labour leadership?Catherine West, the Labour MP who announced a challenge to Keir Starmer’s leadership, has changed course and said she instead wants the prime minister to set a timetable of September for h

Keir Starmer has been facing increasing pressure to set a date for his departure after heavy election losses last week.

Photograph: Hannah McKay/Reuters View image in fullscreen Keir Starmer has been facing increasing pressure to set a date for his departure after heavy election losses last week.

Photograph: Hannah McKay/Reuters Catherine West backs down from Starmer challenge but urges him to go by September Backbench MP calls prime minister’s speech ‘too little, too late’ but stops short of moving to stand against him herself Who are the main threats to Keir Starmer’s Labour leadership?

UK politics live – latest updates Catherine West, the Labour MP who announced a challenge to Keir Starmer’s leadership, has changed course to say she instead wants the prime minister to set a timetable of September for his departure.

West, the MP for Hornsey and Friern Barnet and a former Foreign Office minister, announced on Saturday that she would seek to gather the 81 Labour MPs’ names needed to formally challenge Starmer , saying this was just a device to tempt others to stand and that she did not wish to take over.

In a statement released after Starmer’s speech on Monday morning in which he said he would fight on despite terrible results for Labour in elections last week, West called for an orderly process for Starmer to depart. She said: “I have listened to the prime minister’s speech this morning. I welcome the renewed energy and ideas. However, I have reluctantly concluded that this morning’s speech was too little, too late.

“The results last Thursday show that the prime minister has failed to inspire hope. What is best for the party and country now is for an orderly transition. I am hereby giving notice to No 10 that I am collecting names of Labour MPs to call on the prime minister to set a timetable for the election of a new leader in September.” Under Labour rules, at least 81 MPs, or 20% of the total parliamentary party, need to back a challenge for one to happen. This means West’s plan to simply gather names calling for a future contest would have no force under the rules, but would instead act as a de facto no-confidence vote.

West’s change of plan potentially takes some of the urgency out of the situation, amid speculation that expected rivals such as Wes Streeting, the health secretary, and Angela Rayner, Starmer’s former deputy, would launch imminent bids.

The prospect of a longer timetable would allow time for Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, to potentially return to parliament and join the contest although after his speech, Starmer said whether he would be allowed to do this was still a matter for Labour’s national executive committee (NEC), which blocked him in January.

Explore more on these topics Keir Starmer Labour party leadership Labour news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian39 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr