Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 3 hours ago

China mine explosion: death toll leaps to more than 80 after gas blast

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

China mine explosion: death toll leaps to more than 80 after gas blast

Xi Jinping urges authorities to ‘spare no effort’ in rescue efforts after blast at mine in northern Shanxi provinceThe death toll from a gas explosion at a coalmine in northern China’s Shanxi province has risen to at least 82, state media Xinhua reported on Saturday, with nine people still missing.The gas explosion happened late on Friday at the Liushenyu coalmine in Qinyuan county, while 247 workers were underground, Xinhua reported. Initial reports said eight people had been k

The scene at the rescue site of the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city, China's Shanxi province on Saturday where more than 80 people have reportedly died in a gas explosion.

Photograph: Cao Yang/XinHua/AP The scene at the rescue site of the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city, China's Shanxi province on Saturday where more than 80 people have reportedly died in a gas explosion.

Photograph: Cao Yang/XinHua/AP China mine explosion: death toll leaps to more than 80 after gas blast Xi Jinping urges authorities to ‘spare no effort’ in rescue efforts after blast at mine in northern Shanxi province The death toll from a gas explosion at a coalmine in northern China’s Shanxi province has risen to at least 82, state media Xinhua reported on Saturday, with nine people still missing.

The gas explosion happened late on Friday at the Liushenyu coalmine in Qinyuan county, while 247 workers were underground, Xinhua reported. Initial reports said eight people had been killed, while more than 200 people had been brought safely to the surface.

Chinese President Xi Jinping called for authorities to “spare no effort” in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, while ordering an investigation into the cause of the accident and who was accountable, according to Xinhua.

Premier Li Qiang echoed the instructions, calling for timely and accurate release of information and rigorous accountability.

Rescue operations had begun and the cause of the accident was under investigation, according to the local emergency management authority in Qinyuan.

China has significantly reduced coalmine fatalities – often caused by gas explosions or flooding - since the early 2000s by imposing more stringent regulations and safer practices. However, this latest accident was one of the deadliest reported in China in the past decade.

Executives of the company responsible for the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.

More details soon … Explore more on these topics China Asia Pacific news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Reeves makes case to remain as chancellor with reports Burnham may favour Miliband
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Reeves makes case to remain as chancellor with reports Burnham may favour Miliband

Chancellor’s supporters urge MPs to back her if Keir Starmer is replaced, saying she is only candidate who can safeguard UK’s financesRachel Reeves has launched a rearguard action to save her job as chancellor, telling friends she would like to stay in the post even under a new prime minister.The chancellor’s supporters have been urging MPs to back her if Keir Starmer is replaced later this year, saying she is the only candidate who can safeguard the country’s finances.

Fraudster trying to sell fake ancient statues to Sotheby’s foiled over bogus invoices
Business
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Fraudster trying to sell fake ancient statues to Sotheby’s foiled over bogus invoices

Paperwork supplied by Andrew Crowley, 46, found to be made using printing methods 25 years too modernA fraudster who tried to sell fake ancient statues to Sotheby’s was foiled when his bogus accompanying paperwork was found to be written with printing methods that were 25 years too modern, a court has heard.Andrew Crowley, 46, asked the auctioneers to value three Cycladic figures and one Anatolian stargazer statuette that he had inherited from his grandfather, Southwark crown co

Albanese joins coalition of nations calling for an end to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 3 hours ago1 min read

Albanese joins coalition of nations calling for an end to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank

Australia’s leaders join those of the UK, Italy, France, Germany, Canada, Norway, the Netherlands and New Zealand in condemning illegal settlementsGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastThe Israeli government is undermining stability in th