Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Businessabout 2 hours ago

Fraudster trying to sell fake ancient statues to Sotheby’s foiled over bogus invoices

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Fraudster trying to sell fake ancient statues to Sotheby’s foiled over bogus invoices

Paperwork supplied by Andrew Crowley, 46, found to be made using printing methods 25 years too modernA fraudster who tried to sell fake ancient statues to Sotheby’s was foiled when his bogus accompanying paperwork was found to be written with printing methods that were 25 years too modern, a court has heard.Andrew Crowley, 46, asked the auctioneers to value three Cycladic figures and one Anatolian stargazer statuette that he had inherited from his grandfather, Southwark crown co

The judge accepted that Crowley inherited the statues from his grandfather and did not at any point believe they were counterfeits.

Photograph: Metropolitan Police/PA The judge accepted that Crowley inherited the statues from his grandfather and did not at any point believe they were counterfeits.

Photograph: Metropolitan Police/PA Fraudster trying to sell fake ancient statues to Sotheby’s foiled over bogus invoices Paperwork supplied by Andrew Crowley, 46, found to be made using printing methods 25 years too modern A fraudster who tried to sell fake ancient statues to Sotheby’s was foiled when his bogus accompanying paperwork was found to be written with printing methods that were 25 years too modern, a court has heard.

Andrew Crowley, 46, of Longwell Green, Gloucestershire Andrew Crowley, 46, asked the auctioneers to value three Cycladic figures and one Anatolian stargazer statuette that he had inherited from his grandfather, Southwark crown court in London was told on Friday.

Prosecutors alleged that, if real, the items collectively would have been worth about £680,000 based on previous sales.

However, Judge Rimmer said that estimate hinged on multiple hypotheticals and therefore reduced the value to £340,000.

Crowley, of Longwell Green, Gloucestershire, had presented spurious invoices for the statues that purported to be written in 1976, using a typewriter on paper embossed with an antique’s dealers logo and a nine-pence stamp.

However, his forgery was discovered after forensic scientists found they were made using printing methods invented in 2001. Sotheby’s experts also spotted spelling mistakes, including in the supplier’s title.

Letter shown in the trial of Andrew Crowley.

Photograph: Metropolitan Police/PA Handing Crowley a two-year suspended sentence, the judge said: “It was a crude attempt because Sotheby’s rumbled, to use the vernacular, or spotted, these documents as bogus fairly early on.” The judge accepted that Crowley inherited the statues from his grandfather and did not at any point believe they were counterfeits. The Cycladic statues were each about 30cm (12in) tall weighing about 1kg, police said.

Legitimate Cycladics were made in the Cyclades islands in Greece during the bronze age, about 3,000 years ago. Therefore, “the offending and dishonesty in this case must turn around the paperwork”, the judge said.

Fake ancient statue Andrew Crowley tried to sell to Sotheby’s Photograph: Metropolitan Police/PA Crowley previously admitted dishonestly making a false representation to Sotheby’s auction house intending to make gain between 4 November 2022 and 27 July 2023.

He was also ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work and pay £1,630 in costs over three months.

DC Ray Swan, who led the Metropolitan police’s investigation, said in a statement: “This case also highlights the crucial role played by industry experts in helping to protect the integrity of the London art market.

“Sotheby’s staff acted responsibly and swiftly in raising their concerns, and their cooperation was instrumental in preventing a significant fraud.” A spokesperson for the auctioneers praised the force’s “meticulous and superbly executed investigation that has helped prevent fraudulent material entering the market”.

Explore more on these topics Crime Statues news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Reeves makes case to remain as chancellor with reports Burnham may favour Miliband
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Reeves makes case to remain as chancellor with reports Burnham may favour Miliband

Chancellor’s supporters urge MPs to back her if Keir Starmer is replaced, saying she is only candidate who can safeguard UK’s financesRachel Reeves has launched a rearguard action to save her job as chancellor, telling friends she would like to stay in the post even under a new prime minister.The chancellor’s supporters have been urging MPs to back her if Keir Starmer is replaced later this year, saying she is the only candidate who can safeguard the country’s finances.

Albanese joins coalition of nations calling for an end to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 3 hours ago1 min read

Albanese joins coalition of nations calling for an end to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank

Australia’s leaders join those of the UK, Italy, France, Germany, Canada, Norway, the Netherlands and New Zealand in condemning illegal settlementsGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastThe Israeli government is undermining stability in th

China mine explosion: death toll leaps to more than 80 after gas blast
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 3 hours ago1 min read

China mine explosion: death toll leaps to more than 80 after gas blast

Xi Jinping urges authorities to ‘spare no effort’ in rescue efforts after blast at mine in northern Shanxi provinceThe death toll from a gas explosion at a coalmine in northern China’s Shanxi province has risen to at least 82, state media Xinhua reported on Saturday, with nine people still missing.The gas explosion happened late on Friday at the Liushenyu coalmine in Qinyuan county, while 247 workers were underground, Xinhua reported. Initial reports said eight people had been k