Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Sports9 days ago

Close Starmer ally declines to say if he will lead Labour into next election

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Close Starmer ally declines to say if he will lead Labour into next election

Chief secretary, Darren Jones, says PM is ‘listening to colleagues’ but will make own decisions on way forwardUK politics live – latest updatesOne of Keir Starmer’s closest aides has declined to say whether he would lead his party int

More than 70 Labour MPs have publicly called for Starmer to stand down after dire local and devolved election results.

Photograph: James Manning/PA View image in fullscreen More than 70 Labour MPs have publicly called for Starmer to stand down after dire local and devolved election results.

Photograph: James Manning/PA Close Starmer ally declines to say if he will lead Labour into next election Chief secretary, Darren Jones, says PM is ‘listening to colleagues’ but will make own decisions on way forward UK politics live – latest updates One of Keir Starmer’s closest aides has declined to say whether he would lead his party into the next election amid mounting calls for him to resign.

The prime minister is “listening to colleagues” who are asking him to set out a timetable for departure but would make his own decisions about the way forward, the prime minister’s chief secretary has said.

Darren Jones, a close ally of Starmer, warned the prime minister’s rivals that it was a “gruelling job”, saying: “Anybody who thinks that they can just walk into the job of prime minister and, like the second coming of the messiah, fix all of our problems probably hasn’t really thought carefully enough about how difficult it is.” More than 70 Labour MPs have publicly called for Starmer to stand down after dire election results across England, Wales and Scotland last week.

Asked if Starmer would be leading Labour into the next election, Jones said: “I’m not going to get ahead of any decision that the prime minister may or may not take.

View image in fullscreen Darren Jones: ‘He was very clear yesterday that he will not be walking away.’ Photograph: Wiktor Szymanowicz/Future Publishing/Getty Images “He was very clear yesterday that he will not be walking away, as some of my colleagues have asked him to do. We’ve got over 400 Labour MPs in the House of Commons. I think there are now 70 who have raised concerns publicly.” Starmer on the brink as cabinet ministers urge him to quit Read more The Guardian understands that four senior cabinet ministers – Shabana Mahmood, the home secretary, Yvette Cooper, the foreign secretary, John Healey, the defence secretary, and the deputy prime minister, David Lammy – were among those who spoke to Starmer on Monday.

Some told the prime minister he should oversee an orderly transition of power after crushing election defeats risked ringing the death knell on his premiership.

Others discussed with Starmer how they should take a “responsible, dignified, orderly” approach to what may follow. Several others –including Richard Hermer and Steve Reed – were defiant, urging him to fight on.

Jones told Times Radio that most MPs wanted to focus on using the time in government to deliver Labour’s policies. “We have to work together then as a party in this new political era of five-party politics, of the rise of populist parties in our country, to be able to set the course for winning that next election.” Asked if the king’s speech would still happen on Wednesday, he told Sky News: “Yes, as far as I’m aware, the king’s speech is going ahead tomorrow.

“We’ve been working very hard to bring together a programme of bills for the next session that meet the challenges that we face as a country and it’s important that we get on with that work.” The cabinet will meet later on Tuesday morning, Jones said. “He obviously will be in conversations with colleagues because of the issues that they have raised, but he was very clear with himself and with all of us that this morning we would be getting on with the job, and I think that’s the right thing to be doing.” He continued: “Obviously, colleagues are asking the prime minister to consider different options in the future. And, as I say, he rightfully is listening to them. It would be wrong if he wasn’t listening to them.” In a speech earlier on Monday , Starmer said he would not resign and would prove his doubters wrong, and would fight any leadership challenge.

“I take responsibility for not walking away, not plunging our country into chaos, as the Tories did time and again, chaos that did lasting damage to this country. A Labour government would never be forgiven for inflicting that on our country again,” he said.

Overnight, some Labour MPs began to voice public support for the prime minister. One, Neil Coyle, said: “Horrified at the elephant trap colleagues are falling into. Those who claimed council elections were about Keir had nothing to offer local communities.” Another, Nick Smith, said. “A global security crisis and its economic impact on our country means we need political stability. Unity is strength.” Explore more on these topics Keir Starmer Labour party leadership Labour Darren Jones news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian39 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr