Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology8 days ago

Crisis of First Nations children in care will worsen under NT child protection reforms, advocates warn

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Crisis of First Nations children in care will worsen under NT child protection reforms, advocates warn

Legal and child advocates have criticised the changes, which include eroding the Aboriginal child placement principle, as ‘dangerous, ignorant and wrong’Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our <a href="https://www.theguardian.com/email-newsletters

Flowers and teddies left outside of the Old Timers Camp in Alice Springs in memory of Kumanjayi Little Baby.

Photograph: Rhett Hammerton/EPA View image in fullscreen Flowers and teddies left outside of the Old Timers Camp in Alice Springs in memory of Kumanjayi Little Baby.

Photograph: Rhett Hammerton/EPA Crisis of First Nations children in care will worsen under NT child protection reforms, advocates warn Legal and child advocates have criticised the changes, which include eroding the Aboriginal child placement principle, as ‘dangerous, ignorant and wrong’ Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updates Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast The Northern Territory government is removing a protection introduced to avoid a repeat of the Stolen Generation as part of sweeping reforms to the child protection system.

The draft legislation was revealed alongside details of a major review into the Territory’s child protection system, announced in the wake of the high-profile death of five-year-old Kumanjayi Little Baby in Alice Springs .

It has been condemned by a coalition of 330 First Nations and justice organisations, who say the Territory government is promoting a narrative that is “dangerous, ignorant, and wrong”.

Mother of Kumanjayi Little Baby asks politicians not to leverage child’s death: ‘My heart is broken into a million pieces’ Read more The NT minister for child protection, Robyn Cahill, told reporters that former New South Wales police commissioner Karen Webb will lead that review, alongside NT public servant Greg Shanahan.

The alleged killing of the Warlpiri child has prompted nationwide mourning and calls to review the conditions in Alice Springs town camps, the child protection system and custodial systems in the NT, even as her mother has repeatedly asked that her child’s death not be used for political reasons .

A 47-year-old man who is not related to the child or connected to her care has been charged with murder and two other offences, but is yet to face court in person or enter a plea.

Cahill told reporters on Wednesday that she had been working on changes to the Care and Protection of Children Act for a year.

“I have made it clear on multiple occasions that I will not be a minister who abandons yet another generation of territory kids,” she said. “The reality is that we have kids in really difficult situations and for a long time people have been paralysed by the fear that they’ll be accused of doing that.” The amendments erode the Aboriginal child placement principle, a national framework that has been enshrined in legislation since the 1980s in response to the forced removal of Indigenous children through the Stolen Generation. It will be replaced with a new universal principle.

In a joint statement with 330 other organisations, Aboriginal Peak Organisations Northern Territory (APO NT) and SNAICC, the peak body for First Nations children, said they oppose any legislative changes that would remove or dilute the Aboriginal child placement principle and Aboriginal concepts of kinship; makes it easier for Aboriginal children to be removed; makes it more difficult for Aboriginal children to be placed in kinship care; and makes it more difficult for Aboriginal children to be reunifed with family or return to Country.

They said lowering the threshold for removing children and fast-tracking long-term placements will “deepen an already devastating crisis, with consequences for generations of Aboriginal Territorians”; and that abolishing the Aboriginal child placement principle “is a race-based attempt to blame Aboriginal families for conditions created by government failure and moves us further from Closing the Gap targets”.

“We strongly reject the NT Government’s deliberate portrayal of Aboriginal families, communities, and culture as a risk to children’s safety,” APO NT chief executive, Theresa Roe, said.

Cahill said the amendments were designed to protect children from ongoing harm, minimise the extensive number of placements vulnerable children are exposed to and provide stability and permanency.

Sign up for the Breaking News Australia email “The ongoing cycle of harm, risk and uncertainty needs to be addressed and the only way to achieve that is to put the basic human rights of a child’s safety before anything else,” she said. “Under these amendments there will be more consistent support and better outcomes for both children and their families.

“Every child matters regardless of where they come from, their race or religion. I am not prepared to turn a blind eye and abandon another generation of families and children.” Cahill said Family Responsibility Agreements – aimed at addressing child welfare concerns or antisocial behaviour before formal statutory intervention – will be strengthened and expanded to encourage parents and families to remain responsible and accountable.

“This is a legislated framework for early but reasonable intervention after every effort is made to keep families together,” Cahill said. “Where it is safe to do so we want children with their families, but where it is not, we will act decisively to give children the permanency, stability and care they deserve.” The child protection review has also been denounced by First Nations children’s advocates and legal services, who have urged the Country Liberal party government to widen the scope to include other departments that influence the safety of Indigenous children, including housing, health and corrections.

The federal minister for Indigenous Australians , Malarndirri McCarthy, encouraged Cahill to listen to the NT children’s commissioner and national children’s commissioner. “I do think they are very much experts in this space,” she said.

Explore more on these topics Indigenous Australians Northern Territory Child protection Northern Territory politics Alice Springs Stolen Generations Australian law news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian42 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr