Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology4 days ago

Divers in Maldives resume search for Italian scuba divers who drowned in cave

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Divers in Maldives resume search for Italian scuba divers who drowned in cave

Authorities previously suspended recovery operation for bodies of four divers believed to have died while exploring Vaavu Atoll caveDivers in the Maldives have resumed their search for the bodies of four Italian scuba divers who drowned while exploring a deep underwater cave.Due to rough weather on Friday, Maldivian authorities had temporarily suspended the high-risk operation to recover the bodies of the divers who, according to Italy’s foreign ministry, had “apparently died wh

Monica Montefalcone was one of five Italian scuba divers who died while exploring an underwater cave in the Maldives archipelago.

Photograph: Greenpeace/AP View image in fullscreen Monica Montefalcone was one of five Italian scuba divers who died while exploring an underwater cave in the Maldives archipelago.

Photograph: Greenpeace/AP Divers in Maldives resume search for Italian scuba divers who drowned in cave Authorities previously suspended recovery operation for bodies of four divers believed to have died while exploring Vaavu Atoll cave Divers in the Maldives have resumed their search for the bodies of four Italian scuba divers who drowned while exploring a deep underwater cave.

Due to rough weather on Friday, Maldivian authorities had temporarily suspended the high-risk operation to recover the bodies of the divers who, according to Italy’s foreign ministry, had “apparently died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of 50 metres (165ft).

Mohamed Hussain Shareef, the Maldivian presidential spokesperson, said eight divers took part in Friday’s search, working in pairs, with a plan to continue the mission on Saturday.

In total, five Italians died in the scuba diving accident in Vaavu Atoll in the Indian Ocean archipelago on Thursday, Italy’s foreign ministry said.

The body of the fifth diver was found near the mouth of a cave shortly afterwards, and rescuers believe the remaining four divers are inside the same cave, which is divided into three large chambers connected by narrow passages.

Recovery teams had already explored two of the three chambers, but were hampered in their efforts to explore the third chamber.

The search resumed on Saturday, with two Italians – a deep-sea rescue expert and a cave diving expert – expected to join the recovery effort.

Italy’s foreign minister, Antonio Tajani, said the Italian government “will do everything possible to recover the bodies of our compatriots”.

The deceased have been identified as Monica Montefalcone, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, marine biologist Federico Gualtieri, researcher Muriel Oddenino and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, whose body has been recovered.

The cause of their deaths is unknown and is being investigated.

Officials said the incident was the worst single diving accident in the Maldives, which has 1,192 tiny coral islands scattered across hundreds of miles of the Indian Ocean.

The University of Genoa said Montefalcone and Oddenino were on an official scientific mission to monitor marine environments and study the effects of the climate crisis on tropical biodiversity.

Montefalcone’s husband, Carlo Sommacal, said he believed an incident must have occurred and ruled out recklessness on his wife’s part. “Something must have happened,” he told Italian TV channel Rete 4.

He added that his wife, an experienced diver who had survived the Boxing Day tsunami in 2004 while diving off Kenya, “had two lives – one on land and one in her environment, the water”.

He described her as a disciplined diver who carefully weighed risks before each descent and recalled her telling him at times: “This one I can do, you can’t.” Diving at 50 metres exceeds the maximum depth recommended for recreational divers by most scuba certifying agencies. Depths beyond 40 metres are considered technical diving, which requires specialised training and equipment. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 metres (98ft), and experts have warned that cave divers could easily become disoriented or lost, particularly when sediment clouds reduce visibility.

The Italians were passengers onboard a 36-metre luxury yacht ‘Duke of York’, whose operating licence was suspended “indefinitely” on Saturday by the Maldivian ministry of tourism and civil aviation, pending the outcome of an investigation. A website link related to the ship was not working on Saturday.

Shareef said investigators were looking into why the group went below the officially permitted depth of 30 metres.

Greenpeace Italia, the environmental organisation, paid tribute to Montefalcone as a passionate advocate for marine protection, and said it would miss “her professionalism and her advice immensely”.It recalled the “special light she had in her eyes” when speaking about the wonders of the sea and the importance of protecting them.

Explore more on these topics Maldives Italy Europe Marine life Climate crisis Biodiversity Greenpeace news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian42 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr