Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Health10 days ago

Dozens of people from cruise ship struck by hantavirus leave Tenerife

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Dozens of people from cruise ship struck by hantavirus leave Tenerife

Britons among passengers and crew taken off vessel and put on flights to 10 countries, while France says a person has shown symptoms of illness on planeDozens of passengers and crew from countries around the world have been evacuated from a cruise ship at the centre of a deadly hantavirus outbreak.British people were among those taken off the ship as part of a two-day operation that began on Sunday in Tenerife. They were put on chartered flights back to the UK, where they will e

Spanish passengers wearing blue plastic ponchos and hair coverings after leaving the ship in the Canary Islands.

Photograph: Chris McGrath/Getty Images View image in fullscreen Spanish passengers wearing blue plastic ponchos and hair coverings after leaving the ship in the Canary Islands.

Photograph: Chris McGrath/Getty Images Dozens of people from cruise ship struck by hantavirus leave Tenerife Britons among passengers and crew taken off vessel and put on flights to 10 countries, while France says a person has shown symptoms of illness on plane Dozens of passengers and crew from countries around the world have been evacuated from a cruise ship at the centre of a deadly hantavirus outbreak.

British people were among those taken off the ship as part of a two-day operation that began on Sunday in Tenerife. They were put on chartered flights back to the UK, where they will enter hospital quarantine in Merseyside. At about 9pm on Sunday, a plane carrying 22 UK citizens landed in Manchester, it was reported.

View image in fullscreen The British passengers will enter quarantine at Arrowe Park hospital in Wirral.

Photograph: Jamie Lashmar/PA Spanish passengers wearing blue plastic ponchos and hair coverings had already been taken off the vessel by medical teams in hazmat suits after being screened for the infection. They were then taken by coach to Tenerife airport.

The ship arrived in the Canary Islands in the early hours of Sunday carrying 146 people, after three people died of the virus and eight more became ill.

No one else onboard the vessel had symptoms, but passengers and crew had been confined to their cabins for days to help halt the spread of the virus, which is transmitted only through very close contact.

They were each being screened for hantavirus, which can cause flu-like symptoms leading to respiratory arrest and death in some cases.

The 19 passengers and three crew from the UK were to be flown into quarantine at Arrowe Park hospital in Wirral.

View image in fullscreen The first passengers to be evacuated were taken by coach to Tenerife airport to fly home.

Photograph: Alberto Valdés/EPA None of the British passengers are showing any symptoms, according to the head of the ​​NHS trust managing the quarantine. They will get regular welfare checks over the next 72 hours in self-contained flats at Arrowe Park before self-isolating for 45 days at home.

Separate flights have been arranged for those from elsewhere to repatriate passengers and crew to their home countries.

The Spanish government and the World Health Organization (WHO) have said the passengers and crew will not come into contact with people in Tenerife.

Map of cruise ship’s timeline Fourteen Spanish citizens landed at Madrid airport on Sunday evening, the government confirmed. Flights carrying passengers from the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Greece, Canada, Turkey, France, Ireland and the US followed.

The French prime minister announced on Sunday that one of five French nationals flown home was showing symptoms of the illness.

“These five passengers have immediately been placed in strict isolation until further notice,” Sebastien Lecornu posted on X, adding he would issue a decree later on Sunday authorising appropriate isolation measures be put in place to protect the public.

Authorities said a Dutch refuelling plane would pick up any passengers who had not yet been evacuated on Monday. The last scheduled flight would be to Australia with six people, departing on Monday afternoon.

The government of the Philippines, the country with the most people on board, confirmed that of the 38 Filipino crew, 24 were stewards and hotel staff. The latter were being transferred to the Netherlands on two flights from Tenerife and will begin their quarantine in the Netherlands.

A spokesperson said the remaining 14 staff were deck and engine operatives, part of the essential crew remaining on board to bring the ship to port in Rotterdam.

Those who have been evacuated were being asked to isolate for 42 days from their point of potential exposure, which for most of the passengers would be many days ago.

View image in fullscreen Passengers and crew on the MV Hondius after arriving at the port of Granadilla in Tenerife.

Photograph: Manu Fernández/AP The MV Hondius is anchored slightly offshore of the southern commercial port of Granadilla. Passengers have been taken to the dock in groups of five to 10 by a small boat only when planes were on the asphalt ready to receive them, the president of the Canary Islands, Fernando Clavijo, said.

Flights to some countries were yet to be arranged as authorities scrambled to get planes in place on Sunday. Winds off the coast of the island were expected to pick up from Monday, meaning any people whose flights had not been arranged may be stuck onboard.

Authorities have sought to make clear that the virus, though serious, would not result in another pandemic.

However, the director general of the WHO, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, was asked at a press conference in Tenerife on Saturday night whether allowing passengers to travel all over the world and relying on them to self-isolate with no oversight could cause further outbreaks.

“Based on our assessment, what you have said is not going to happen,” he said.

View image in fullscreen Medical personnel in the port of Granadilla.

Photograph: ANP/Shutterstock At the port Javier Padilla Bernáldez, Spain’s health secretary, said PCR diagnostic testing was not being carried out on the ship and instead those onboard were having their temperatures taken and had filled out a health survey designed to identify hantavirus symptoms.

He said the UK and US had asked for further testing onboard the MV Hondius, which had been refused, but the countries had been told they could test passengers on the plane as soon as it left the airport.

Countries are carrying out their own health checks, which for some, such as the UK and Spain, involve PCR testing. He said the European Commission and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control were “trying to achieve a certain degree of coordination, and not a high variation among the different countries”.

“But every country has its own confidences,” he said.

The polar cruise ship arrived at the Canary Islands after spending days stranded off the coast of Praia, the capital of Cape Verde. Local authorities would not allow the ship to dock amid fears of a wider outbreak overwhelming the healthcare system of the small island nation.

Fears of a new pandemic were unfounded, the WHO said, because hantaviruses did not spread as quickly as Covid-19 and treatment was highly effective if the virus was caught quickly enough.

0:55 Army parachutes on to Tristan da Cunha to attend suspected hantavirus case – video However, a broad incubation period, lasting between a few days and eight weeks, means infected people might have the opportunity to pass on the virus before any symptoms become apparent.

For this reason, the WHO is putting together an international coordinated response, particularly in tracing those who left the vessel since the onset of the outbreak more than a month ago.

Several countries have come together to solve the logistical challenge of tracing people who have been in close and prolonged contact with 29 people who disembarked on 24 April in the remote southern Atlantic island of Saint Helena.

Two British people are self-isolating in the UK because they could have been exposed to the virus before getting off about a month ago. Neither has symptoms.

A specialist army team and medical personnel were parachuted on to the British overseas territory of Tristan da Cunha with medical aid and equipment after a British national disembarked on to the island, where they live, with a suspected case of hantavirus.

Explore more on these topics Hantavirus Spain Europe news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian43 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr