Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Sports5 days ago

‘Extremely cruel and tragic’: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi speaks out against state violence and the war

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

‘Extremely cruel and tragic’: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi speaks out against state violence and the war

The film-maker, who won the Grand Prix for A Hero in 2021, condemned both the killing of protestors and the conflict’s bombing campaigns during a Cannes press conferenceOscar-winning Iranian director Asghar Farhadi has described the deaths of civilians in Iran as “extremely cruel and tragic” during a press conference at the Cannes film festival.Farhadi, whose new Paris-set drama <a href="https://www.theguardian.com/film/2026/may/14/parallel-tales-review-isabelle-huppert-sexual-f

Asghar Farhadi attends a press conference for his film Parallel Tales, in competition at this year’s Cannes film festival.

Photograph: Sarah Meyssonnier/Reuters View image in fullscreen Asghar Farhadi attends a press conference for his film Parallel Tales, in competition at this year’s Cannes film festival.

Photograph: Sarah Meyssonnier/Reuters ‘Extremely cruel and tragic’: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi speaks out against state violence and the war The film-maker, who won the Grand Prix for A Hero in 2021, condemned both the killing of protestors and the conflict’s bombing campaigns during a Cannes press conference Oscar-winning Iranian director Asghar Farhadi has described the deaths of civilians in Iran as “extremely cruel and tragic” during a press conference at the Cannes film festival .

Farhadi, whose new Paris-set drama Parallel Tales premiered on the Croisette on Thursday night, was asked about working free from censorship in France, the war involving Iran, the US and Israel, and the repression of protesters in his native country.

The director, who has lived outside Iran since 2023, said he was in Tehran last week and was still carrying the impact of “two tragic events”.

“One was the death of a number of innocent people, children, members of the civilian population who died in the war,” he said. “Before that, we had the death of a number of demonstrators, people who went to the street to protest, and they were equally innocent. These two events are extremely painful and will never be forgotten.” Farhadi insisted it was possible to condemn both state violence and the deaths caused by war without contradiction. “To express one’s indignation in the face of the death of innocent people in the bombing doesn’t mean one is in favour of the executions and death of protesters,” he said.

“Similarly, to feel empathy for people who were shot during demonstrations doesn’t mean you can’t feel empathy for those who died in the bombings.” He added: “Any murder is a crime. Under no circumstances can I accept the fact that another human being should lose their life, be it at war, be it executions, be it massacres of demonstrators. Its extremely cruel and tragic that, in the world today, despite all the progress we’re supposed to have made, every morning we wake up with news of new innocents being killed without any reason whatsoever.” Parallel Tales, loosely inspired by an episode of Krzysztof Kieslowski’s television series Dekalog, stars a high-profile French cast including Isabelle Huppert, Catherine Deneuve and Vincent Cassel.

Farhadi previously won the Grand Prix at Cannes for A Hero in 2021, while his films A Separation (2011) and The Salesman (2016) both won the Oscar for best international feature. He boycotted the 2017 Academy Awards in protest against Donald Trump’s travel ban targeting several Muslim-majority countries, including Iran.

Parallel Tales review – Isabelle Huppert pens furtive sexual fantasy for Vincent Cassel in Asghar Farhadi’s latest Read more The director has also vowed not to make films in Iran while censorship laws remain in place. Earlier this year, he urged fellow film-makers to speak out against the war, calling attacks on civilian infrastructure “a war crime”.

Iranian cinema has remained a prominent presence at Cannes. Last year, dissident film-maker Jafar Panahi won the Palme d’Or for It Was Just an Accident , before later being sentenced in absentia in Iran to a prison term and travel ban over “propaganda activities”. Meanwhile, Mohammad Rasoulof received a special prize for The Seed of the Sacred Fig in Cannes in 2024, and now lives in exile in Germany.

Explore more on these topics Cannes film festival Asghar Farhadi Festivals Iran US-Israel war on Iran Middle East and north Africa news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian42 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr