Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology1 day ago

Far-right Israeli minister Bezalel Smotrich says ICC is seeking his arrest

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Far-right Israeli minister Bezalel Smotrich says ICC is seeking his arrest

Smotrich vows to retaliate by waging ‘war’ on Palestinian Authority and orders evacuation of a West Bank villageMiddle East crisis – live updatesIsrael’s far-right finance minister, Bezalel Smotrich, has said the international criminal court (ICC) prosecutor has sought a confidential arrest warrant against him, a

Smotrich described the court as ‘antisemitic’ and said it had ‘submitted a secret request for an international arrest warrant against me’.

Photograph: Ronen Zvulun/Reuters Smotrich described the court as ‘antisemitic’ and said it had ‘submitted a secret request for an international arrest warrant against me’.

Photograph: Ronen Zvulun/Reuters Far-right Israeli minister Bezalel Smotrich says ICC is seeking his arrest Smotrich vows to retaliate by waging ‘war’ on Palestinian Authority and orders evacuation of a West Bank village Middle East crisis – live updates Israel’s far-right finance minister, Bezalel Smotrich, has said the international criminal court (ICC) prosecutor has sought a confidential arrest warrant against him, and promised to retaliate by waging a “war” on the Palestinian Authority.

He said he had ordered the evacuation of the Palestinian Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar in the Israeli-occupied West Bank as part of measures against the authority, which exercises limited self-rule in parts of the West Bank under agreements with Israel.

“The Palestinian Authority has started a war, and it will get a war,” Smotrich told a press conference, reflecting Israeli government anger at what it sees as Palestinian backing for international legal action over the conflict in Gaza .

Smotrich said he had ordered the evacuation of Khan al-Ahmar, using his authority as finance minister and as a minister in the defence ministry, to harm the authority.

A senior Palestinian official, Wasel Abu Youssef, said the forced evacuation of Khan al-Ahmar was “very dangerous” and called for a firm international response to stop what he called further crimes.

The office of the prosecutor at the ICC declined to comment, citing confidentiality of the process. The ICC has previously said its prosecutor is independent and impartial when selecting situations to investigate.

Smotrich did not specify who had informed him of the warrant on Monday evening, and the process of seeking warrants is confidential. He also did not reveal the ICC’s reasons.

Describing the court as “antisemitic”, Smotrich said he had been told the ICC prosecutor “submitted a secret request for an international arrest warrant against me”.

“As a sovereign and independent state, we will not accept hypocritical dictates from biased bodies that consistently stand against the state of Israel, against our biblical, historical, and legal rights in our homeland, and against our right and duty to self-defence and security.” Israel is not a member of the court and does not recognise its jurisdiction, but the Palestinian territories were admitted as an ICC member state in 2015.

This, together with a ruling by judges, means the court can look at potential war crimes carried out by Hamas fighters in Israel and by Israelis in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

Prosecutors can submit an application to judges, which under new court rules is kept sealed. Judges then have to find there are reasonable grounds to conclude a suspect has committed crimes under ICC jurisdiction in order to issue an ICC warrant.

The court declined to comment on Smotrich’s charge of antisemitism.

Smotrich, who has been unapologetic over his pro-settlement and anti-Palestinian state credentials, said attempts “to force upon us a policy of security suicide through sanctions and arrest warrants will not succeed”.

The ICC in November 2024 issued arrest warrants for the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, and his former defence chief Yoav Gallant, as well as a Hamas leader, Ibrahim al-Masri, for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity in the Gaza conflict.

A request for another ICC arrest warrant against a sitting Israeli official, if accurate, could trigger additional retaliation against the court by key Israeli ally the US.

US opposition to the arrest warrant for Netanyahu has been bipartisan and under the Trump administration sanctions were imposed against 11 ICC judges and prosecutors involved in the “the Palestine situation”.

Britain and four other nations last year imposed sanctions on Smotrich and another far-right Israeli cabinet minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, accusing them of repeatedly inciting violence against Palestinians in the West Bank.

Smotrich has called for the permanent conquest of Gaza and re-establishment of Jewish settlements there that Israel abandoned in 2005, notions that Netanyahu has rejected. He has also worked to expand Jewish settlements in the West Bank, calling it part of Jews’ “biblical and eternal homeland”.

Explore more on these topics International criminal court Israel International criminal justice Palestine West Bank Gaza Middle East and north Africa news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian43 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr