Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 1 hour ago

Former head of Minnesota nonprofit gets nearly 42-year prison sentence for fraud

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Former head of Minnesota nonprofit gets nearly 42-year prison sentence for fraud

Aimee Bock ran Feeding Our Future, which claimed it helped provide millions of meals to children during the pandemicSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailA judge on Thursday h

Aimee Bock on 27 January 2022 in St Anthony, Minnesota.

Photograph: Shari L Gross/AP Aimee Bock on 27 January 2022 in St Anthony, Minnesota.

Photograph: Shari L Gross/AP Former head of Minnesota nonprofit gets nearly 42-year prison sentence for fraud Aimee Bock ran Feeding Our Future, which claimed it helped provide millions of meals to children during the pandemic Sign up for the Breaking News US newsletter email A judge on Thursday handed down an extraordinary prison sentence – nearly 42 years – to the former leader of a Minnesota nonprofit who was convicted in a staggering $250m fraud case that helped ignite an immigration crackdown by the Trump administration .

Aimee Bock ran Feeding Our Future, which had claimed it helped provide millions of meals to children in need during the pandemic.

“I understand I failed. I failed the public, my family, everyone,” Bock said in federal court.

Donald Trump used the fraud cases against Bock and many others to initially justify a surge of federal officers to the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area last winter, leading to a pushback by residents and the deaths of two people.

“Feeding Our Future operated like a cash pipeline, open to anyone willing to submit fraudulent claims and pay kickbacks,” prosecutors said in a court filing. “The ripple effects of her actions are profound, immeasurable, and will have lasting consequences for both Minnesota and the nation.” Bock was convicted last year of multiple counts involving conspiracy, wire fraud and bribery. She had long insisted she was innocent.

Her lawyer, Kenneth Udoibok, argued for a much shorter sentence, saying Bock had provided information to investigators. He argued that Bock had been unfairly painted as the mastermind and insisted that two co-defendants were responsible for running the scams.

The nonprofit sat atop a fraud network that included a web of partner organizations, phoney distribution sites, kickbacks and fake lists of children supposedly being fed, prosecutors say. Dozens of people, many from the state’s large Somali community, have been convicted for their roles in a series of overlapping food fraud cases that have spent years in the courts.

Meanwhile, authorities this week filed additional charges against others in a sprawling investigation into federal social service spending in Minnesota.

The targets include Fahima Mahamud, who was CEO of Future Leaders Early Learning Center, a childcare center in Minneapolis. Over three years, Mahamud’s organization was reimbursed approximately $4.6m for services on behalf of people who didn’t make a required copayment, prosecutors allege.

A message seeking comment from her lawyer was not immediately returned on Thursday. Mahamud was charged separately in February with fraud related to meals. She has pleaded not guilty.

Two other people were charged with conspiring to receive $975,000 in Medicaid subsidies for housing services that were not provided. They are expected to plead guilty in June, according to a court filing.

Two additional people were accused of receiving $21.1m by billing Medicaid for autism therapy that was either unnecessary or not provided. Investigators said they paid families as much as $1,500 per child per month to add their names to the program and get reimbursement.

Trump, who has long derided Somalis, last year blasted the state as “a hub of fraudulent money laundering activity”. He also criticized the leadership of Tim Walz, the governor and the Democratic vice-presidential nominee in the 2024 election.

“Somali gangs are terrorizing the people of that great State, and BILLIONS of Dollars are missing. Send them back to where they came from,” Trump wrote on social media.

Bock is white and the US attorney’s office says the overwhelming majority of defendants in the cases are of Somali descent. Most are US citizens.

The immigration surge led to repeated protests and confrontations between residents and federal officers and resulted in the killings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti.

Explore more on these topics Minnesota US crime Trump administration US immigration US politics news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

OpenAI makes breakthrough on 80-year-old maths problem
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

OpenAI makes breakthrough on 80-year-old maths problem

Company says work on Paul Erdős planar unit distance problem shows advance in AI reasoningOpenAI has claimed a further advance in AI reasoning after its technology successfully tackled an 80-year-old maths problem.The company behind ChatGPT said it had made a breakthrough with a challenge first posed by Hungarian mathematician Paul Erdős in 1946: the planar unit distance problem.

Five arrested after police investigate alleged electoral fraud in Tameside
Sports
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Five arrested after police investigate alleged electoral fraud in Tameside

Greater Manchester police made the arrests after concerns over several independent candidates in May’s local electionFive people have been arrested as part of a police investigation into allegations that fake independent candidates were used to influence the outcome of a local election in Tameside.Greater Manchester police said four men and a woman, aged between 23 and 47, were arrested on suspicion of fraud offences on Thursday morning in the Ashton-under-Lyne area.

Nervy time for Havana neighbours of top officials as fears of US attack grow
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Nervy time for Havana neighbours of top officials as fears of US attack grow

Cubans express outrage at US charges against Raúl Castro but view military strikes as serious possibilityA new question in being asked in Havana as people digest the news that the US has brought criminal charges against Cuba’s 94-year-old former president, Raúl Castro: who’s your neighbour?If you happen to live near a senior figure in Cuba’s government or armed forces, others suck their teeth