Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology12 days ago

Four south Florida men convicted in Haitian president’s assassination

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Four south Florida men convicted in Haitian president’s assassination

Men were convicted in Miami federal court for plotting to kill Jovenel Moïse at his Port-au-Prince home in 2021Four south Florida men were convicted on Friday of plotting to kill the Haitian president, Jovenel Moïse, in 2021 by hiring mercenaries to assassinate him at his Port-au-Prince home, court records show.Prosecutors argued during the nine-week trial in a Miami federal court tha

Jovenel Moïse, Haiti's former president, listens during an interview in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, in 2018.

Photograph: Bloomberg/Getty Images View image in fullscreen Jovenel Moïse, Haiti's former president, listens during an interview in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, in 2018.

Photograph: Bloomberg/Getty Images Four south Florida men convicted in Haitian president’s assassination Men were convicted in Miami federal court for plotting to kill Jovenel Moïse at his Port-au-Prince home in 2021 Four south Florida men were convicted on Friday of plotting to kill the Haitian president, Jovenel Moïse , in 2021 by hiring mercenaries to assassinate him at his Port-au-Prince home, court records show.

Prosecutors argued during the nine-week trial in a Miami federal court that the men assembled two dozen former Colombian soldiers and supplied them with money, guns, ammunition and tactical vests in a conspiracy to kill Moïse . The 53-year-old president was shot dead in July 2021 at his private residence in the hills above Port-au-Prince, a killing that left a gaping political vacuum in the Caribbean nation and emboldened powerful gangs.

Standing trial were Arcangel Pretel Ortiz, 53, a former FBI informant, Colombian national and permanent US resident; Antonio Intriago, 62, a Venezuelan-American owner of a security firm; James Solages, 40, a Haitian-American handyman; and Walter Veintemilla, 57, an Ecuadorian American.

They were convicted of multiple counts of conspiracy to kill and kidnap a person outside the US resulting in death – and of providing material support or resources to carry out a violation resulting in death.

All four men face life in prison.

A fifth defendant, Christian Emmanuel Sanon, a Haitian-born doctor – who court papers say wanted to be named president after Moïse was killed – will be tried later due to health issues.

The killing has prompted multiple investigations and indictments in Haiti and the United States while giving rise to competing theories over who ordered the assassination and why.

Defense lawyers for the Florida men said the government used unreliable evidence from Haiti, the Miami Herald reported. They argued their clients only intended to serve an arrest warrant on the president because he had overstayed his term.

The defendants also claimed that by the time the Colombians arrived to arrest him, Moïse had already been killed by his own security forces and officials in his government.

“This is a Haitian plot and it is a Haitian conspiracy,” defense attorney Emmanuel Perez said, arguing that the men were being used as scapegoats in a flawed FBI investigation, the Miami Herald reported .

A divisive figure in Haiti who declined to leave office after his term ended in February 2021, Moïse’s death added to the Caribbean country’s political instability and unleashed widespread gang violence.

Jake Johnston of the Center for Economic and Policy Research in Washington said it would be a “misconception” that the case would address all the questions surrounding the killing.

“The Miami crew is just a small sliver,” the center research associated said. “There are all these people accused in Haiti. The big picture is that we’re not going to get the full story here.” Explore more on these topics Haiti US crime Florida Miami Caribbean Americas news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian39 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr