Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Science12 days ago

Frustrated by Iran, Trump at last seizes enriched uranium – but from Venezuela

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Frustrated by Iran, Trump at last seizes enriched uranium – but from Venezuela

US energy department says 13.5kg of uranium taken from reactor in Caracas – a fraction of the 408kg held by TehranDonald Trump has succeeded in removing a country’s stash of highly enriched uranium – although that country is not Iran.On Friday, the US Department of Energy announced that “thanks to President Trump’s decisive leadership” 13.5 kilograms (about 30 pound

The facade of the United States embassy building in Caracas, Venezuela.

Photograph: Ronald Pena R/EPA View image in fullscreen The facade of the United States embassy building in Caracas, Venezuela.

Photograph: Ronald Pena R/EPA Frustrated by Iran, Trump at last seizes enriched uranium – but from Venezuela US energy department says 13.5kg of uranium taken from reactor in Caracas – a fraction of the 408kg held by Tehran Donald Trump has succeeded in removing a country’s stash of highly enriched uranium – although that country is not Iran .

On Friday, the US Department of Energy announced that “thanks to President Trump’s decisive leadership” 13.5 kilograms (about 30 pounds) of uranium had been removed from a legacy research reactor in Venezuela .

The department called the joint operation, involving the United Kingdom, the United States and Venezuela , “a win for America, Venezuela, and the world”.

“The safe removal of all enriched uranium from Venezuela sends another signal to the world of a restored and renewed Venezuela,” Brandon Williams, the administrator of the department’s National Nuclear Security Administration, said .

The International Atomic Energy Agency said the uranium had been “safely and securely transported by land and sea from South to North America” after “a complex and sensitive operation”. It was taken to a Department of Energy complex in South Carolina having been removed from a site 15km from Venezuela’s capital, Caracas.

The Department of Energy claimed the operation sent “another signal to the world of a restored and renewed Venezuela”.

After Trump’s controversial decision to order the capture of Venezuela’s president, Nicolás Maduro, on 3 January the White House has rebooted relations with its longtime adversaries in Caracas.

US soldier involved in Maduro raid charged over alleged bets on capture Read more Trump has recognized Maduro’s vice-president, Delcy Rodríguez – threatening Venezuela’s interim leader with an even worse fate than Maduro if she fails to comply with US demands – and set about opening the country to US energy and mining firms.

A series of top Trump officials have flown to Venezuela, including the CIA director, John Ratcliffe, and late last month a US commercial flight between the two countries landed in the South American country for the first time in more than seven years. The US embassy recently reopened.

Business chiefs have celebrated the start of a new era of commercial relations between the US and Venezuela, which boasts the world’s largest proven oil reserves, but pro-democracy activists have lamented Trump’s decision to embrace Rodríguez and sideline the exiled opposition leader and Nobel laureate María Corina Machado.

One of Trump’s key stated objectives after going to war with Iran in February has been forcing it to surrender about 408kg of highly enriched uranium. So far those efforts have failed.

Explore more on these topics Venezuela US foreign policy Americas news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian41 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr