Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Sports9 days ago

Hegseth says Pentagon will review Mark Kelly’s US weapons stockpile remarks

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Hegseth says Pentagon will review Mark Kelly’s US weapons stockpile remarks

Defense secretary accuses senator of disclosing classified info but Kelly says ‘that’s not classified, it’s a quote from you’Pete Hegseth said he has referred Senator Mark Kelly to Pentagon lawyers for allegedly disclosing classified information about depleted US weapons stockpiles – information Kelly says he hea

Mark Kelly in New York City in April.

Photograph: Eduardo Muñoz/Reuters View image in fullscreen Mark Kelly in New York City in April.

Photograph: Eduardo Muñoz/Reuters Hegseth says Pentagon will review Mark Kelly’s US weapons stockpile remarks Defense secretary accuses senator of disclosing classified info but Kelly says ‘that’s not classified, it’s a quote from you’ Pete Hegseth said he has referred Senator Mark Kelly to Pentagon lawyers for allegedly disclosing classified information about depleted US weapons stockpiles – information Kelly says he heard from the defense secretary, in public, under oath.

Speaking on CBS News’s Face the Nation on Sunday, Kelly said American inventories of Tomahawk cruise missiles, Army Tactical Missile Systems, SM-3 interceptors, THAAD rounds and Patriot missiles had been severely drawn down during the Iran conflict, warning that replenishment could take years and leave the US exposed in any future confrontation with China.

Hegseth responded on X, accusing Kelly of disclosing details from a classified Pentagon briefing and saying the department’s legal counsel would review whether the senator had violated his oath.

“Now he’s blabbing on TV (falsely & dumbly) about a *CLASSIFIED* Pentagon briefing he received,” Hegseth wrote on social media. “Did he violate his oath…again?” Kelly then countered that the information didn’t come from a classified press briefing, but rather from Hegseth’s own mouth while at a late April Senate briefing on the Pentagon’s future budget and war with Iran.

“That’s not classified, it’s a quote from you,” Kelly wrote. “This war is coming at a serious cost and you and the president still haven’t explained to the American people what the goal is.” The exchange did indeed happen between the two men on 30 April at the Senate armed services committee hearing conducted in an open session, where Kelly asked Hegseth directly: “How many years will it take to replenish our munitions from Trump’s war in Iran?” “Months and years,” Hegseth responded. “Fast.” The confrontation is the latest in a dispute between the two men stretching back to last Fall, when Kelly joined five fellow Democratic lawmakers – all veterans or former intelligence officials – in a video reminding military personnel they are legally obligated to refuse unlawful orders. The other participants included senators Elissa Slotkin of Michigan and representatives Chris Deluzio, Chrissy Houlahan, Maggie Goodlander and Jason Crow.

Hegseth responded by formally censuring Kelly, opening a Pentagon investigation and seeking to strip him of his retired rank of captain under a federal statute that allows retired service members to be recalled for potential court-martial.

But a federal court temporarily blocked both actions, ruling the Pentagon had probably violated Kelly’s first amendment rights and those of millions of military retirees. Hegseth appealed, and last week a three-judge panel of the US court of appeals for the DC Circuit heard oral arguments, showing little receptiveness to the government’s position.

Donald Trump had called the six lawmakers traitors who had committed sedition and suggested they should face execution, a comment he later attempted to retract. Days afterwards Slotkin, a former CIA officer, received a bomb threat .

The department of justice separately opened a criminal investigation into the video, and a grand jury declined to bring charges in February.

The Pentagon declined to respond to the scope of its legal review, the consequences, and whether the investigation has already begun.

Explore more on these topics US politics Pete Hegseth Trump administration news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian40 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr