Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Health9 days ago

Huge cuts to national disability insurance scheme aim to save more than $36bn in budget’s largest single measure

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Huge cuts to national disability insurance scheme aim to save more than $36bn in budget’s largest single measure

NDIS changes foreshadowed by health minister Mark Butler will drastically reduce access to the scheme, with nearly 700 staff positions to go at NDIAFederal budget 2026 LIVE updates: Australia government budget announcement and speech – latest newsExplore all of our<a href="https://www.theguardian

Australia federal budget 2026: Labor says NDIS cuts will save more than $36bn.

Photograph: Lukas Coch/AAP View image in fullscreen Australia federal budget 2026: Labor says NDIS cuts will save more than $36bn.

Photograph: Lukas Coch/AAP Huge cuts to national disability insurance scheme aim to save more than $36bn in budget’s largest single measure NDIS changes foreshadowed by health minister Mark Butler will drastically reduce access to the scheme, with nearly 700 staff positions to go at NDIA Federal budget 2026 LIVE updates: Australia government budget announcement and speech – latest news Explore all of our 2026 Australia federal budget coverage Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast The government expects to recoup $36.2bn by curbing the national disability insurance scheme’s growth over the next four years as it looks to return to the NDIS’s “original purpose” of supporting people with “significant and permanent disability”.

The treasurer, Jim Chalmers, said the budget’s savings package amounted to genuine economic reform, beyond the “usual nips and tucks”.

“It is all about saving the NDIS from itself,” he said on Tuesday.

“It’s all about making sure that we can continue to provide [the] levels of support people need and deserve in a way the country can afford.” Sign up for the Breaking News Australia email The budget papers show changes to limit who can access the NDIS – which supports more than 760,000 Australians with disabilities – will reduce participant payments by at least $37.8bn until 2030.

The health minister, Mark Butler, announced last month he would introduce drastic changes to bring down the scheme’s growth to 2% every year until the end of the decade to prevent its budget soaring past the $100bn-a-year mark by the mid-2030s.

The budget papers show the plan to reduce the NDIS’s growth is by far the budget’s single largest savings measure .

Today’s bloated NDIS would never have been greenlit, its former head says. How did we get here?

Read more The National Disability Insurance Agency, which runs the scheme, also faces cuts, with its headcount reduced by 669 in the next financial year to 9,840.

But the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission will gain almost 200 more staff as the government widens registration requirements for providers.

The budget papers show the government expects payments made to participants to plateau at between $53bn and $54bn a year until 2030 while employee benefits will halve from 2027-28.

Butler will introduce legislation this week to begin his overhaul of the scheme. It’s expected to focus on limiting the number of unscheduled reassessments, which the minister said had been a “major driver” of spending growth in recent years.

The scheme’s cost grew by more than 10.3% last year and it had been on track to cost $63bn by 2028-29. Without changes, it had been projected to support more than 1 million participants by 2033 and to cost $95.8bn in 2034-35.

“The NDIS costs too much and is growing too fast, put alongside any comparable government program,” Butler said last month.

“And unless we take action to make it sustainable, it simply will not be there in the future for the Australians who need it most.” He said the eligibility changes would reduce the number of people using the scheme to about 600,000 by 2030, down from forecasts of 900,000 participants.

A new standardised assessment tool to determine a person’s NDIS access will be in place from 1 January 2028.

“These are hard decisions – but they’re unavoidable and urgent,” Butler said.

Programs outside the NDIS for those no longer eligible will receive $3bn over the next five years from the federal government, a figure to be matched by states and territories.

The Thriving Kids program for children under nine with autism and developmental delays will begin rolling out from October and is expected to be fully operational from January 2028.

Explore more on these topics Australian budget 2026 National disability insurance scheme Australian politics Disability news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian40 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr