Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technologyabout 5 hours ago

Jury discharged at trial of men accused of murdering child abuser Ian Watkins

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Jury discharged at trial of men accused of murdering child abuser Ian Watkins

Judge says it is ‘disappointing’ there will have to be retrial of prisoners accused over Lostprophets singer’s deathThe jury in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering the paedophile Lostprophets frontman, Ian Watkins, has been discharged for legal reasons.The disgraced singer was stabbed to death in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield by Rico Gedel, 25. Watkins was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences. <a href="https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news

Watkins was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences at HMP Wakefield when he was stabbed to death.

Photograph: South Wales police/PA Media Watkins was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences at HMP Wakefield when he was stabbed to death.

Photograph: South Wales police/PA Media Jury discharged at trial of men accused of murdering child abuser Ian Watkins Judge says it is ‘disappointing’ there will have to be retrial of prisoners accused over Lostprophets singer’s death The jury in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering the paedophile Lostprophets frontman, Ian Watkins, has been discharged for legal reasons.

The disgraced singer was stabbed to death in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield by Rico Gedel, 25. Watkins was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences.

Leeds crown court heard that after walking out of the cell, Gedel handed the makeshift knife to his fellow prisoner Samuel Dodsworth, 44, who threw it in a bin.

Both defendants denied murdering Watkins and possessing a knife in prison.

On Friday the judge, Mr Justice Hilliard, discharged the jury, telling them: “Very reluctantly, I’m going to discharge you and the case will have to be retried.

“That’s disappointing for you and for everyone.” Gedel told the trial he hated being housed with sex offenders at Wakefield and had threatened to hurt “any number of paedophiles” if he was not transferred.

He said he chose Watkins largely due to “proximity”, as he had been put in the cell next to him the night before, after being moved from another wing for assaulting three prisoners there.

Gedel said “part of him” wanted to kill Watkins, but another part did not, adding: “Sometimes what your heart wants is not what your brain wants.” Prosecutors had said Gedel and Dodsworth were both guilty of murder because Dodsworth “knew the attack was going to happen” and assisted Gedel by disposing of the knife.

Dodsworth, who is serving a sentence for raping a woman, said he played no part in the attack and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He said Gedel handed the knife to him after emerging from Watkins’s cell, and he tried to give it back but ended up throwing it away after panicking at the sight of an injured Watkins.

Watkins was jailed for 29 years in December 2013, with a further six years on licence, after admitting a string of sex offences, including the attempted rape of a fan’s baby.

Explore more on these topics UK news England news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Suspected Ebola cases triple in a week as WHO warns of rapid spread in DRC
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Suspected Ebola cases triple in a week as WHO warns of rapid spread in DRC

Situation described as ‘deeply worrisome’ by officials as aid cuts and community distrust impede respondersThe Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo poses a “very high” risk to the country, the World Health Organization said on Friday, revising its threat assessment upwards.The outbreak is spreading rapidly, WHO leaders said, with almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths, up from 246 cases and 65 deaths when it was first reported a week earlier.

Chinese fast-fashion company Shein to buy eco-friendly retailer Everlane
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 1 hour ago1 min read

Chinese fast-fashion company Shein to buy eco-friendly retailer Everlane

Everlane CEO confirms sale in letter to employees and says it will stay true to ‘sustainability’ commitmentsEverlane, the retailer that bucked the fast-fashion industry by promising affordable ethically sourced and sustainable clothing, is being acquired by the king of fast-fashion, China’s Shein.A letter to Everlane employees from CEO Alfred Chang confirming the deal was obtained by the Associated Press on Friday.