Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Health8 days ago

More than 110 Nobel laureates call on Iran to release gravely ill activist Narges Mohammadi

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

More than 110 Nobel laureates call on Iran to release gravely ill activist Narges Mohammadi

As human rights advocate is treated in Tehran hospital after transfer from Zanjan prison, prize winners demand her freedomMore than 110 Nobel laureates have called for the immediate and unconditional release of Narges Mohammadi, the imprisoned Iranian human rights activist and Nobel peace prize laureate, after she was transferred to hospital amid concerns over her rapidly deteriorating health.In a statement released on Tuesday, 112 Nobel laureates urged the Iranian authorities a

Narges Mohammadi has been campaigning for women’s rights for decades and was first arrested in 1998. Medical experts warned that her life may be at imminent risk.

Photograph: Eagen/Alamy View image in fullscreen Narges Mohammadi has been campaigning for women’s rights for decades and was first arrested in 1998. Medical experts warned that her life may be at imminent risk.

Photograph: Eagen/Alamy More than 110 Nobel laureates call on Iran to release gravely ill activist Narges Mohammadi As human rights advocate is treated in Tehran hospital after transfer from Zanjan prison, prize winners demand her freedom More than 110 Nobel laureates have called for the immediate and unconditional release of Narges Mohammadi, the imprisoned Iranian human rights activist and Nobel peace prize laureate, after she was transferred to hospital amid concerns over her rapidly deteriorating health.

In a statement released on Tuesday, 112 Nobel laureates urged the Iranian authorities and the international community to act “without delay” to secure Mohammadi’s release and ensure her continued access to medical treatment.

Mohammadi, who was awarded the 2023 Nobel peace prize for decades of campaigning for women’s rights in Iran was transferred by ambulance in a critical medical condition to Tehran’s Pars hospital on 10 May for specialised treatment.

The human rights activist has experienced severe weight loss, unstable blood pressure and serious cardiac symptoms while in detention, and was found unconscious in her cell after a possible heart attack. Mohammadi’s transfer to hospital is only a temporary respite and her representatives fear she will be returned to prison if her condition improves.

The Nobel laureates called for her immediate release and for all charges against her to be dropped. “Medical experts warn that her life may be at imminent risk,” they said in a joint statement, adding that she had been denied specialised medical care for months while imprisoned.

The signatories included 26 Nobel laureates in chemistry, 12 in economics, five in literature, 29 in medicine, 11 peace laureates and 29 in physics, and include the authors Annie Ernaux and JM Coetzee.

‘Blindfolded, I sat down slowly. Then the interrogation began’: Iranian Nobel laureate Narges Mohammadi on the torture of solitary confinement Read more Jody Williams, the US anti-landmine activist who was awarded the peace prize in 1997, said Mohammadi “should never have been brought to the brink of death”.

“No one, anywhere, should be imprisoned for peaceful protest or for defending human rights,” Williams said.

The Yemeni journalist and 2011 Nobel laureate Tawakkol Karman described Mohammadi as “the fearless voice of women resisting oppression and demanding freedom”.

“No prison can silence the struggle for dignity and justice. Narges must be released, and the world must continue to stand with the women of Iran,” Karman said.

Ali Rahmani, Mohammadi’s Paris-based son, said: “The temporary suspension of my mother’s sentence is simply not enough. After years of imprisonment, solitary confinement and systematic medical neglect, her life still hangs by a thread.

“We do not just want her out of a cell for a few days; we demand a permanent end to this judicial persecution. My mom requires unconditional freedom and long-term, specialised care without the shadow of a return to the environment that nearly killed her.” Mohammadi has been repeatedly detained by Iranian authorities for her activism since first being arrested in 1998 , including her campaigns against the death penalty and Iran’s mandatory hijab laws. She has been sentenced to more than 44 years in prison and 154 lashes over multiple sentences.

Explore more on these topics Iran Rights and freedom Human rights (Global development) Protest Middle East and north Africa Nobel peace prize Human rights (Law) Prisons news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian43 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr