Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology3 days ago

Neo-Nazi group challenges hate ban by arguing law ‘operates as a doorway to tyranny’

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Neo-Nazi group challenges hate ban by arguing law ‘operates as a doorway to tyranny’

Banned White Australia group lodges documents with high court stating legislation ‘burdens freedom of governmental and political communication’Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our <a href="https://www.theguardian.com/email-newsletters?CMP=cv

Neo-Nazi National Socialist Network leader Thomas Sewell at an anti-immigration rally in August 2025.

Photograph: Charlie Kinross/The Guardian View image in fullscreen Neo-Nazi National Socialist Network leader Thomas Sewell at an anti-immigration rally in August 2025.

Photograph: Charlie Kinross/The Guardian Neo-Nazi group challenges hate ban by arguing law ‘operates as a doorway to tyranny’ Banned White Australia group lodges documents with high court stating legislation ‘burdens freedom of governmental and political communication’ Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updates Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast A neo-Nazi group, which is aiming to start a political party and was last week banned as a hate group, has launched legal action against the commonwealth that will test the constitutional validity of the prohibition.

The federal government on Friday banned neo-Nazi group the National Socialist Network (NSN), also known as White Australia, by listing it as a prohibited hate group under legislation passed in the wake of December’s Bondi beach terror attack .

The group had declared it would disband in the hours before the legislation was introduced at a special sitting of parliament in January.

Neo-Nazi group National Socialist Network criminalised under hate laws passed after Bondi terror attack Read more But the minster for home affairs, Tony Burke, said on Friday that the group had instead “phoenixed” and its members had continued organising.

Burke said the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (Asio) had recommended in April that the government consider listing White Australia. That same month, the group lodged an application with the Australian Electoral Commission to register as a political party.

The solicitor Matthew Hopkins, who has previously represented NSN leader Thomas Sewell, filed a legal challenge on Friday in the high court of Australia against the commonwealth over the law used to enforce the ban. Hopkins was acting on behalf of Sewell and the group’s planned political party, the White Australia Party.

Court documents state that on 13 January, the NSN and the Australian European Movement, “some of whose former members assisted in the formation” of the White Australia Party, “disbanded voluntarily”. But the documents state that the party did not dissolve and note Sewell is the president.

The neo-Nazi group is arguing the law used to ban it is invalid on the grounds the legislation “burdens the freedom of governmental and political communication” and violates constitution by conferring punitive power to the government without judicial review.

The group argues the commonwealth lacks the power to proscribe a political party and doing so contravenes the Australian Communist Party v Commonwealth high court decision of 1951, which found a Menzies government attempt to outlaw the communist party was beyond the parliament’s power.

“The challenged provisions, in short, operates as a doorway to tyranny, by empowering the executive to name, suppress and criminalise political opponents and opposing views,” Sewell and the White Australia Party state in the court documents.

The group has submitted separately to the constitutional challenge an application requesting that the court issue an order restraining the commonwealth from using the law until a determination by the court.

The listing of NSN and White Australia as a hate group means that NSN and White Australia activities, including supporting, funding, training, recruiting and joining the group, constitute a criminal offence with a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.

The group is the second to be listed by the government after the Islamist group Hizb ut-Tahrir.

Burke and the Asio head, Mike Burgess, have said the groups previously operated in a “lawful but awful” manner, skirting the higher threshold to be listed as a terror organisation.

Burke said on Friday when announcing the ban of the NSN and White Australia: “None of this will stop bigoted people from having horrific ideologies, but it does prevent this group from organising, from meeting, and prevents some of the sorts of horrific bigoted rallies that we’ve seen around our country.” Explore more on these topics Australian law Australian politics Bondi beach terror attack news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian42 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr