Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology10 days ago

No butts: case dismissed after Woolworths worker claims hurt feelings over plumber’s crack

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

No butts: case dismissed after Woolworths worker claims hurt feelings over plumber’s crack

Fair Work Commission deputy president Alan Colman rejects Victorian man’s case, warning there is no disincentive for speculative claimsFollow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our break

Fair Work’s deputy commissioner rejected a former Woolworth’s employee’s unfair dismissal claim for being told to cover his bum crack, saying: ‘It was evidently a speculative claim made in pursuit of a monetary settlement…’ Photograph: Con Chronis/EPA View image in fullscreen Fair Work’s deputy commissioner rejected a former Woolworth’s employee’s unfair dismissal claim for being told to cover his bum crack, saying: ‘It was evidently a speculative claim made in pursuit of a monetary settlement…’ Photograph: Con Chronis/EPA No butts: case dismissed after Woolworths worker claims hurt feelings over plumber’s crack Fair Work Commission deputy president Alan Colman rejects Victorian man’s case, warning there is no disincentive for speculative claims Follow our Australia news live blog for latest updates Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast A former Woolworths employee has been accused of wasting the Fair Work Commission’s time for filing an unfair dismissal case over feeling “upset” at being told to cover up his bum crack.

In a decision published on Thursday, the Fair Work Commission deputy president, Alan Colman, said he had rejected the Victorian man’s application for compensation in part because the dismissal never occurred in the first place.

It was the man’s fifth application in two years.

“Anyone wanting insight into the phenomenon of unmeritorious claims in the Fair Work Commission may wish to consider the case of [the complainant], whose application … I dismissed ex tempore earlier today,” he said.

Paraphrasing, Colman said the complainant, while working a casual shift at the supermarket, was told by a co-worker that “the cleft of his bottom was protruding from his trousers” and it was suggested “in rude terms, that he cover up”.

In layperson’s terms, the complainant was referring to the exposure of his bum crack, also known colloquially as the “builder’s bum” or “plumber’s crack”, an unfortunate yet common occurrence for people in jobs with regular bending and movement.

“[The complainant] was upset. His feelings were hurt,” Colman continued.

“He lodged an application alleging that he had been dismissed in breach of his workplace rights under Part 3-1 of the act.

Fair Work abolishes junior pay rates for adult workers, with half a million young Australians to be paid more Read more “He wanted compensation. What dismissal? That was what Woolworths wanted to know.” Colman said the supermarket chain countered the man continued to work shifts after lodging his claim and later stopped turning up for work, contrary to his application.

“[The complainant] was not dismissed,” he said. “He had no standing to make the application. This case had nothing to do with dismissal.

“It was evidently a speculative claim made in pursuit of a monetary settlement that would spare Woolworths the nuisance of defending it.” Colman said he was unable to put that argument to the complainant because he ignored his direction to attend the telephone hearing.

“Unmeritorious claimants have little to lose,” Colman said.

“This is unfair to respondents who have no case to answer. It is unfair to applicants with cases of substance waiting their turn to be heard … Very often there are no compensable costs, only wasted time.

“There is no effective disincentive for speculative claims, and so they come, in great numbers, compounding the Commission’s burgeoning caseload.” Lodgements to the Fair Work Commission have surged in the past five years, rising from 29,631 in 2020-21 to 44,075 in 2024-25. They are expected to continue climbing in excess of 50,000 in the coming year.

President of the Fair Work Commission, Justice Adam Hatcher, told the Victorian Bar in February that the proliferation of AI tools including ChatGPT since 2022 was a main driver for the surge.

“In the previous decade, there was a clear correlation between the number of dismissal-related applications and the state of the labour market,” he said.

“However, that statistical relationship has broken down in the last couple of years.

“The clue that the growth in lodgments was AI-driven first became apparent by the widespread use of AI-generated language in the applications being filed. Once you learn what this looks like, it becomes pretty easy to spot.” Explore more on these topics Industrial relations Workers' rights Woolworths Consumer affairs news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian39 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr