Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology8 days ago

Palestine Action trial lawyer wins appeal against contempt of court charge

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Palestine Action trial lawyer wins appeal against contempt of court charge

Rajiv Menon KC was accused of breaching judge’s directions with his closing speech at trial of six activistsA leading human rights barrister has won an appeal against his referral for contempt of court over his closing speech during a trial of Palestine Action activists.Rajiv Menon KC was accused of breaching the judge’s directions in the trial of s

The proceedings against Menon were believed to be the first brought against a barrister in respect of a jury speech in living memory, possibly ever.

Photograph: georgeclerk/Getty Images/iStockphoto View image in fullscreen The proceedings against Menon were believed to be the first brought against a barrister in respect of a jury speech in living memory, possibly ever.

Photograph: georgeclerk/Getty Images/iStockphoto Palestine Action trial lawyer wins appeal against contempt of court charge Rajiv Menon KC was accused of breaching judge’s directions with his closing speech at trial of six activists A leading human rights barrister has won an appeal against his referral for contempt of court over his closing speech during a trial of Palestine Action activists.

Rajiv Menon KC was accused of breaching the judge’s directions in the trial of six people for a 2024 direct action protest at an arms factory of the Israeli subsidiary Elbit Systems UK in Filton, near Bristol.

The proceedings against Menon – who previously worked on the Stephen Lawrence inquiry, the inquests of victims of the Hillsborough disaster and the Grenfell Tower inquiry – were believed to be the first brought against a barrister in respect of a jury speech in living memory, possibly ever. On Tuesday the court of appeal allowed the barrister’s challenge to them.

Menon’s solicitor, Jenny Wiltshire, from Hickman & Rose, said: “Rajiv is delighted that the court of appeal has found in his favour and decided that the Filton trial judge did not have the power to refer him directly to the high court to be prosecuted for contempt of court and that the high court did not have the power to accept the reference in the absence of an application by the attorney general in the public interest.” She said he was grateful to his lawyers and others who supported him during a difficult time and “hopes that this is now the end of the matter. This unprecedented attempt to criminalise lawyers for doing their job and representing their clients fearlessly should never be repeated.” The trial judge, Mr Justice Johnson, referred Menon because he considered that the barrister had contravened his ruling in which he forbade lawyers from inviting the jury to disregard the court’s rulings of law or to apply the principle of jury equity – the right of a jury to acquit on the basis of conscience regardless of the judge’s directions – or to inform the jury of it.

None of the defendants were convicted of any offence but they were retried and four were convicted last week.

The high court had directed that a summons for contempt be drawn up and served on Menon after a referral from Johnson. The court of appeal said Johnson should reconsider the matter in the light of its ruling.

Defend Our Juries said the fact that contempt proceedings were ever brought against Menon “should deeply concern everyone who cares about the rule of law”.

Explore more on these topics Law Palestine Action Court of appeal news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian42 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr