Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology5 days ago

Questions over Farage’s houses and £5m gift renew scrutiny of finances

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Questions over Farage’s houses and £5m gift renew scrutiny of finances

Property portfolio in spotlight as Reform UK leader faces official inquiry over money accepted from billionaireA week ago, Nigel Farage was toasting Reform UK’s successes in the May elections, and bragging about his prospects of becoming prime minister.But there is a saying about a week in politics – and it has been a long seven days for the party leader, who is now facing questions over a £5m gift and his extensive property portfolio. <a href="https://www.theguardian.com/po

The crypto billionaire Christopher Harborne, left, made a £5m gift to Farage, right, in 2024.

Photograph: John Nguyen/JNVisuals View image in fullscreen The crypto billionaire Christopher Harborne, left, made a £5m gift to Farage, right, in 2024.

Photograph: John Nguyen/JNVisuals Questions over Farage’s houses and £5m gift renew scrutiny of finances Property portfolio in spotlight as Reform UK leader faces official inquiry over money accepted from billionaire A week ago, Nigel Farage was toasting Reform UK’s successes in the May elections, and bragging about his prospects of becoming prime minister.

But there is a saying about a week in politics – and it has been a long seven days for the party leader, who is now facing questions over a £5m gift and his extensive property portfolio.

On Thursday, the parliamentary standards commissioner said he had opened an official inquiry into the money Farage accepted from the crypto billionaire Christopher Harborne.

Farage is also facing questions about a £1.4m house he bought in Surrey in 2024 , the purchase of which took place in the weeks after accepting Harborne’s gift.

Christopher Harborne, tycoon who gave £5m to Farage, enters UK rich list at No 6 Read more Farage appears to either own or live in five properties. The house in Surrey is the one that has come under scrutiny this week.

The Grade II-listed detached home, on a site of historic interest and with substantial acreage, is listed on planning documents from 2025 as being occupied by its new owner and not intended for rental.

Farage also appears to have filmed videos there on the Cameo platform in the last two years, and a neighbour said security had been installed at the property some time after he bought it.

Reform sources, when asked whether Farage used the Surrey house as one of his residences, said he would not say where he spent his time, on the basis of security advice, as the danger to him was too high already.

The £1.4m home is in addition to a house in Downe in Kent, which Farage has previously talked about as his home.

He gave an interview to UnHerd in March 2024 about his connection to the area, with the headline: “The village that made Nigel Farage”.

The Reform leader also said during the local elections campaign that he lived for “half the week” in Clacton , his constituency, where he initially claimed to have bought a house. It was later revealed that the £885,000 property had been bought outright by his partner, Laure Ferrari.

After the Guardian’s reporting on the £5m gift from Harborne, there have been renewed questions about the source of financing of Farage’s properties.

The Reform leader has maintained the £5m was given on a no-strings-attached basis by the businessman for the purposes of ensuring Farage’s security for life.

But on Thursday, Farage appeared to undermine his own explanation, saying in an interview with the Sun it was a “reward” for campaigning for Brexit for 27 years .

Farage insists the £1.4m home has nothing to do with the Harborne money, with sources saying the negotiations to buy the Surrey property took place a few weeks after he left the ITV series I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here, having been given a £1.5m appearance fee.

The sources said an offer was accepted in March and proof-of-funds along with anti-money-laundering checks were completed before Farage received the Harborne gift. They also stressed that all correct stamp duty had been paid, which would amount to about £125,000 on the purchase of a second home of that value.

Alongside Farage accepting the gift from Harborne and then becoming an MP in 2024, it appears to have been a busy year for his property portfolio.

The Reform leader also owns two properties on the Kent coast through his company Thorn in the Side – one bought in 2020 for £500,000 and a second in 2023 for £575,000.

The second was granted planning permission to be demolished and rebuilt in 2024, not long after the Surrey purchase.

The house used by Farage in Clacton was bought in November 2024. The Reform UK leader first said he put the property in his partner’s name for security reasons, before saying she had bought it with her own money.

The key questions for Nigel Farage over £5m gift from crypto billionaire Read more However, more recently, Ferrari has declined to say where she got the funding for the Clacton house.

Asked on Thursday about the purchase of the £1.4m property, which was first revealed by Sky News, a Reform UK spokesperson said: “The relevant chronology is straightforward. The offer and purchase process for the property commenced before the gift.

“Mr Farage had already passed proof of funds and the relevant checks before receiving the gift. The purchase was therefore already proceeding independently of it.” However, Labour has already called on the Reform leader to give a full breakdown of what the £5m from Harborne was used to pay for.

Anna Turley, the chair of the Labour party, said: “Nigel Farage has repeatedly dodged questions on his multimillion-pound ‘gift’.

“Now we can see why – this totally stinks. Farage must urgently come clean with the public as to what this £5m was used for and why he failed to declare it.” Explore more on these topics Nigel Farage Reform UK House of Commons news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian43 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr