Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology1 day ago

Russian jamming blamed after Nato jet downs Ukrainian drone over Estonia

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Russian jamming blamed after Nato jet downs Ukrainian drone over Estonia

Officials from Baltic states say Moscow behind latest such incident but also tell Kyiv to be more careful with its routingEurope live – latest updatesA Romanian F-16 Nato jet shot down a drone over Estonia on Tuesday in what appears to be the latest case of Russian electronic

Estonian journalists record images of a Ukrainian drone fragment near the village of Kablakula.

Photograph: Valda Kalniņa/EPA Estonian journalists record images of a Ukrainian drone fragment near the village of Kablakula.

Photograph: Valda Kalniņa/EPA Russian jamming blamed after Nato jet downs Ukrainian drone over Estonia Officials from Baltic states say Moscow behind latest such incident but also tell Kyiv to be more careful with its routing Europe live – latest updates A Romanian F-16 Nato jet shot down a drone over Estonia on Tuesday in what appears to be the latest case of Russian electronic jamming diverting long-range Ukrainian drones into the alliance’s territory.

A local resident told the Estonian public broadcaster, ERR, that he had seen two fighter jets – part of a Nato force policing the skies over the Baltic states – flying in the area before a loud bang that brought the drone down. He said the drone had crashed about 30 metres from the nearest residential building.

After analysing its trajectory, “we decided that we need to take it down,” Estonia’s defence minister, Hanno Pevkur, said.

The spokesperson for Ukraine’s foreign ministry, Heorhii Tykhyi, said: “We apologise to Estonia and all of our Baltic friends for such unintended incidents.

“We have been and remain in close cooperation between our specialised institutions to get to the heart of the matter in each case and seek ways to prevent them.” He blamed Moscow for the incident, saying that Kyiv had been aiming at legitimate targets inRussia and that it had never attempted to use Baltic airspace for its drones.

It was the latest in a series of incidents in which Ukrainian drones have apparently been pushed off course by Russian electronic jamming. The Latvian government collapsed last week over a crisis that stemmed from its response to a similar incident in which two drones exploded at an oil storage facility.

Russia’s SVR foreign intelligence service said on Tuesday that Ukraine planned to launch drone attacks against Russia from Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, and warned of “just retribution”.

Ukraine war briefing: The drones that bombarded Moscow region Read more Officials from the three Baltic countries deny plans for their airspace to be used for the launch or overflight of drones.

“Russia is lying about Latvia allowing any country to use Latvian airspace and territory to launch attacks against Russia or any other country,” the Latvian president, Edgars Rinkēvičs, wrote on X.

Estonia’s foreign minister, Margus Tsahkna, said the only reason Ukrainians drones were appearing over Estonian territory was as a result of Russian electronic warfare pushing them off course.

“Estonia has not permitted its airspace to be used for attacks against Russia. Incidents such as this are linked to Russian jamming activities,” he said.

In an interview with the Guardian in Tallinn over the weekend, Tsahkna struck a similar tone: “These are the consequences of the Russian war of aggression against Ukraine. This is a desperate move to divide the west and also put us on pressure that we should tell Ukrainians to stop it, because Ukraine is hitting their lifelines,” he said.

Estonia supported Ukraine’s right to attack targets in Russia, he said, adding that the two capitals were in constant contact and Tallinn had asked Kyiv to be more careful with its drone routes given the Russian jamming.

Pevkur reiterated after the shooting down on Tuesday that Ukraine had to be careful with its drones.

“We’ve said to the Ukrainians all the time that if you’re attacking Russian positions or Russian targets, then these trajectories have to be as far from the Nato territory as possible,” he told Associated Press.

Additional reporting by Jakub Krupa Explore more on these topics Estonia Ukraine Russia Nato Europe news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian39 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr