Breaking
World leaders gather for emergency summit on climate crisis • Tech giants announce major breakthrough in fusion energy • Stocks reach all-time high as global trade recovers • Global News 24 launches premium news experience • Stay updated with real-time headlines •
BACK TO NEWS
Technology4 days ago

Seven people injured after man drives car into pedestrians in northern Italy

The Guardian
The Guardian

Verified Publisher

Seven people injured after man drives car into pedestrians in northern Italy

Man in 30s arrested over incident in Modena that left two seriously hurtEight people were injured, two seriously, on Saturday after a car rammed into a group of pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena.Police said the driver, in his 30s, had been arrested. He is also alleged to have attempted to stab a passerby who had tried to stop him from fleeing the scene. Con

The car crashed into a shop window after hitting the pedestrians, according to local reports.

Photograph: LaPresse/Shutterstock View image in fullscreen The car crashed into a shop window after hitting the pedestrians, according to local reports.

Photograph: LaPresse/Shutterstock Seven people injured after man drives car into pedestrians in northern Italy Man in 30s arrested over incident in Modena that left two seriously hurt Eight people were injured, two seriously, on Saturday after a car rammed into a group of pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena.

Police said the driver, in his 30s, had been arrested. He is also alleged to have attempted to stab a passerby who had tried to stop him from fleeing the scene.

According to reports in the Italian press, the car crashed into a shop window after hitting the pedestrians on a road in the central area of the city.

The driver is alleged to have “aimed for the pavement, hitting a bike” before crashing “head-on” into a woman, the Modena mayor, Massimo Mezzetti, told the Ansa news agency. The mayor said the woman’s legs were crushed on the impact.

View image in fullscreen The mayor of Modena said the driver hit a bicycle.

Photograph: LaPresse/Shutterstock The driver is an Italian national born in the Lombardy city of Bergamo and of north African origin, the mayor said, adding that he lives in the Modena area.

The two seriously injured pedestrians were taken to Maggiore hospital in Bologna.

Mezzetti said the circumstances of the incident were still unclear.

Italian press reports said four or five people had helped to capture the driver after chasing him. One man told Ansa that he disappeared behind parked cars before reappearing, allegedly “with a knife in his hand”.

Mezzetti said “he was seen with a knife in his hand, but he didn’t manage to stab anyone. It seems like he was trying to hit someone”. He added: “We need to understand what’s behind this act. But it was a dramatic event. I am deeply shaken. Whatever it was, it was extremely serious. If it turns out to be an attack, that would be even more serious.” The mayor said he wanted to thank the people who helped to capture the driver, saying “they showed courage and great civic sense”.

One of the injured pedestrians told Rai news that he saw the car crash on to the pavement “at high speed” and heard the sound of “people being hit”. “It was coming in the same direction as me, and I managed to jump out of the way,” he said. The man added that the driver appeared to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, although authorities haven’t confirmed this.

In a message posted on social media, Italy’s prime minister, Giorgia Meloni, expressed her solidarity “with those who were injured and their families”.

Explore more on these topics Italy Europe news Share Reuse this content

Read original story at The Guardian

Continue reading this article on the publisher's website.

Visit Website

More from The Guardian

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardian42 minutes ago1 min read

Australia news live: Penny Wong rebukes Israel over “shocking and unacceptable” treatment of flotilla activists

Australia’s foreign minister condemns video posted by Israel’s national security minister taunting detained activists. Follow today’s news liveGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralian Foreign Minister Penny Wong c

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Technology
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

Police allege an attender at the Hanukah event before the shooting stole a deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment then pawned itGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNSW police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equi

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver
Health
The Guardian
The Guardianabout 2 hours ago1 min read

Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver

Police say 64-year-old was attacked after confrontation near Battersea BridgeA murder investigation has been launched after a bus driver died after an assault on Battersea Bridge in London, police said. Sergei Krajev, 64, died in hospital on Tuesday after the incident in the early hours of Monday morning. Police believe he was attacked following a confrontation on the pavement near the bus, which was stationary at the time. Gary Jones, 32, was arr